1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calling Tractor Guys!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by PTSolutions, Feb 13, 2009.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Hello everyone, I would like to hear some input from those on here that run tractors or skids. We run a landscaping company and plow in the winter. mainly mulch and soil work with hardscape installs.

Min. Requirements:
    -2000lb lift cap. on the FEL minimum!

what we would like to do, is use a loader and run a 10' pusher, and then run a blower in the back off the pto. I really like the pxpl's with their drag blade for our driveways. but i would also like the tractor to have a backhoe.

tractors considering:
    kubota m59 tlb- i really like Cre's setup!
    john deere 110- like the tlb package, but can it run a blower?? $$$$
    kubota 7040- really cheap for a used one in good condition

what do you guys think? you can add other suggestions not limited to the ones on here. I really dont know much about tractors, pto's etc... shuttle transmissions, I have been running bobcats and mostly construction equip, not any AG equip at all.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Be sure to get what you're looking for instead of just going by the literature. When they say what total load limit is, this doesn't necessarily mean what it will lift. When I bought my tractor it was supposed to have an FEL lift capacity of 2000 pounds. When I had trouble lifting over 1200 pounds on a forklift attachment, I was pretty upset and went back to the dealer to find out why I was having trouble. The explanation was that they measure lifting capacity "at the pins". This is ridiculous. How could you possibly lift something there?
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You want a utility tractor (for example the M series in Kubota is a utility)
    starts about 60hp goes up to about 90hp (more or less, there is some overlap)

should weigh with fully loaded tires in the 9000/11,000lb range (plow, blower, etc)

should easily lift 2500lbs+ (even with the weak stupid ratings they use, they really are ridiculous)

$40,000 on up in new.

You want a cab.

Figure out the size tractor you want, then get the most horsepower in that size.

Will be pretty big to do most landscaping jobs. I use mine to run a batwing mower. I use the smaller tractors for dirt work, etc.

Forget the blower, get a skidsteer, will move more snow and a lot more material in the summer in less space and probably less money. Remember Ag tractor loaders are for moving material, NOT for digging. They'll do it, but not well and not quickly.

A 3 point blower is big bucks.
  4. PTSolutions

what do you guys think about the john deere 325 series skid steer?

i was considering running a tractor and blower setup for our residential accounts, and to put a pusher on it for lots.

If id get a skid steer then it will most likely be getting a blizzard 8611 on that. can you run skid steers on the street if i were to put a blower on that machine? maybe follow it with a truck to do the scraping up against the garage etc... but then that still ties up two vehicles for the same route.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tractor equipped with loader and blower is a great combo for residentials. Can you not get the back hoe part on the 3 point hitch??????????????????
  6. PTSolutions

i know on the kubota tlb series tractors, you can unmount the backhoe and still have 3pt and pto capabilities, correct?
  7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

what is your budget?
  8. PTSolutions

the more i realize what I need, i.e. loader, backhoe, pto, the more im liking the M59 TLB. Like the one Cre got.

its got a FEL, Backhoe, 3pt with pto, weighs about 8400lbs
    lift cap- 2976lbs at the bucket bottom, 3900lbs at the pivot pins.
    3pt lift cap- 2976lbs
    pto hp-46
    ive been looking at the pronovost blowers:
    pxpl 86-92" can be run on tractors with 50-75 hp
    or the p920 inverted blower

what do you guys think?
  9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I've got the PXPL 98" on the TV145 and while it works great, but the blower is a heavy unit. Second issue would be, the tractor needs 3 pair for the hydraulic lines. Can you set this tractor up with that many? At around $16,000. for the blower alone, is it worth the money? And last, if you are set on a PXPL better order it now. For that matter, any pronovost blower needs to be ordered soon or you won't get one. Just ask Cre.
    One more thing, you'll want more h.p. than the M59 if you will be doing a lot of snow blower work.
  10. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

I am a big Kubota guy but have recently started looking at Case IH.. If you have a dealer local take a look at the JX series.. They are a good buy for the money.. The 3 point and drivetrain is alot heavier than the Kubotas.. I agree with blowerman I would go for alittle more power..
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Go with an inverted blower, if your doing resi ask Paul what one to get. It will only work with a tight route but when you see first hand the productivity, you'll be able to cut your rates abit and still make a killing. Better to lead then to follow. The M59 is a good tractor to start with.
  12. PTSolutions

our budget would depend on the type of tractor, i know this sounds confusing, but if we end up getting a blower unit for it, then we can definitely add alot more drives to our route to help in paying for the equip.

the route we plow is very tight, about 90% of the driveways are within a 1 mile radius or less. anything outside of that the trucks can take care of.

i really like the tlb setups (not only kubotas) b/c they can be useful to us in the spring/summer/fall seasons for landscaping work.

im pretty sure i can get three hydro lines in the back, ill double check.

so you recommend the inverted units with drag blade? i really wouldnt have the ability to send another shovel crew out to clean in front of garage doors which is why i looked at the pxpl's in the first place. even if we only get the 86" units i think that would be fine for us, a big increase in productivity regardless.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If 3 hydros is not available an electic valve can be added to divert flow for around $800 and they work great, I shouldn't really post about blowers, I will let Blowerman and others that actually own blowers comment instead of people like me. LOL
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  14. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

If you are doing mostly resi driveways then I would say that an inverted blower is the way to go. I some guy don't use back blades but I like them. I have a 92 inch Normand with hydraulic down pressure, it was a bit of pain working the valve for each driveway. The rear blades on my new blowers simply hang on chains and work great. The only downside to the back blade is that you get a little bit larger clump of snow when you lift the blower.

15. augerandblade

:salute:Finally another Normand snowblower owner. Ive got two of em one in which the drum will rotate both directions from left to right or in the middle to blow the snow out of the chute. I know the majority of resi guys favor the inverted blower but I have the regular backup and do resi also. I find that if you are blowing out a driveway towards a garage door for instance then when you get about 2 feet away from it stop and rev the snow out of the blow move back a half foot then stop and rev again usually ya wont get a buildup of snow at the door. Also if you have a regular blower, you can blow back banks for customer or work on more wide open sites.
  16. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

That new M59 is hard to beat but I agree with others on needing a cab for it. Not sure if Kubota has one available for that. I've ran a bunch of JD 110's and don't like them. Loader joystick is rough, steer cylinders hang underneath with hose ends pointed down, hyd lines and loader valve also hang down low and is very susseptible to damage and when you do bend something up it's not real easy to fix. Very nice backhoe unit tho. Feels just like a JD310. Also 110 has no cruise for the hydro. If you have to road alot it gets kind of crampy on the right calf. I would prob fill the rear tires tho on a M59 since a snowblower won't give adequate weight for rear traction. I had a JD 5400 4x4. 65 hp turbo w shuttle shift trans. I pushed a 8 footer with ease and had a 7 foot blower on back so I would see no reason why you couldn't at least go with a 10 footer up front. The M59 arms are much stouter than a farm tractor loader like my Deere had too so depending how big a blade you hang up front you may not need to go to a frame mount plow hitch.
  17. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

The Normands seem like good blowers but I did have a few issues with the one in the pic. It was the first year of production of that model. I traded in a 74 inch inverted and bought a new 80 inch this year and so far they have seem to have got all the bugs out of it. I get my blowers (and tractors) from out your way.

The dealers around here don't have a clue when it comes to inverted blowers.
  18. augerandblade

Which of the two companys is the oldest manufacturer and who is copying who cuz they both look quite similiar. Pronovost or Normand????????????????/
  19. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I'm not sure on the history of Pronovost but my Normand has a sticker on it saying that they have been in business for 150 years (or something like that). I'm sure that they did not make too many 3 ph snowblowers 150 years ago lol. Pronovost seem to be more well known than Normand. I heard Roberage also make a similar looking blower but they are a smaller company that does not like to deal with anybody outside of Quebec. I have one their standard blowers, it is solid and well built but it won't shoot snow like the Normand will.
  20. PTSolutions

i was definitely gonna get the tires filled for it.

so you think an m59 can handle an inverted 7 footer pretty well? will 46pto hp be enough? i know the lift cap on the 3pt is more than enough for the blower, just wondering about the pto hp.

so with an inverted blower, id be driving up the driveway, blower up, drop the blower and drag blade, then drive down the driveway shooting the snow. then lift the drag blade and blow off whatever is left. is this the proper technique?