1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calling Snow Subs

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dooleypyne, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooleypyne

Dooleypyne Junior Member

How does everyone go about calling their snow subs a day or two before the storm to see if they are available? We have about 500 plow guys, machine operators, and shovelers that we have to call to see if they are available to work for an upcoming storm. It is tedious work that takes a while and we are trying to figure out an easier way to do it. Any help would be great!:dizzy:
  2. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Have you tried email & texts?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mass email or text will a response from them within a certain time so you know if they are in or out.
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

500? Damn.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

A mass e-mail, text, and possibly an automated call. If you can do all three, I would think you would have your bases covered.

Subs are subs though. Even the Nationals try to trust their contractors and never have to call them to do services. Really though, contracts that hold them to a flame is probably the way to go, such as doing the work, reporting services, and only paying once every 30 days in order to make sure they are doing the work.

6. Dooleypyne

Dooleypyne Junior Member

Next time we bring everyone in, we will ask if they can text and we will send out a text saying respond with your name and yes or nor if you are available. Thanks for your suggestions!Thumbs Up
  7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

IMHO, any sub you have to call before a storm to see if they are available isn't worth calling your sub. How can you provide service if you don't know your help will show up. Anyone I ever worked for made it plain they were counting on me, and if I didn't show they would never call again.
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I was thinking.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did he say he needs all 500 subs or are they on rotation.?
  10. Dooleypyne

Dooleypyne Junior Member

We have our main 100 subs about that consist of plow guys, operators, and about 100 shovelers but when we get anything over 3 inches we need to call 300 or so more shovelers.
  11. Ranger429

Ranger429 Member

So you have 400 shovelers? Holy cow!

If you don't use them full time I can't expect you would think they would just sit idly by their phone waiting for your call. I would certainly think they are out seeking other full time work! not just when there is a 3" snow fall or more.
  12. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I get a phone call the company I sub for refuses to use email or text ! haha old school I guess
  13. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

Sorry but to me it doesn't make sense. If you have an operation like you say you do I think you would have figured this out by now or at least a long time ago. And not only one guy would be getting in contact with all these subs. Just my opinion.
  14. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed, have a contract with them, then they only get 1 mess up, 2nd they gone, hire another.
  15. Dooleypyne

Dooleypyne Junior Member

We are trying to modernize a little. Trust me, i get that all the time. We actually found this site called Phonevite.com and tested it and it is amazing. You record a message and just enter the numbers you want to send it to and its only 5 cents per call. So we are using that going forward. I encourage any other companies with lists of subs as well of customers that need to be contacted to give it a try.
    We will also use it for lawn customers in the spring and summer if we are skipping cuts one week so we dont have to call each of our lawn customers either!
  16. bcramblit

bcramblit Member

My phone would explode if 500 texts came at once. 500 subs and a question like this. Seems like a load of
    ???? Not salt!
  17. Dooleypyne

Dooleypyne Junior Member

We do not consider shovelers subs for the record.
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

There are CPU programs out there that can send out mass e-mails so they aren't directed to your phone. Then you can see on a cpu screen who has responded.

19. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Why in heck dont you have a pyramid system? Top guy calls 10 managers, who in turn calls 15 area managers, who calls 15 others and so on.

500 calls is ridiculous
  20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Something sounds wrong here. Almost unbelievable.

In growing a company to whatever size, there is procedures that become part of the process in a natural way. We are a company of 500 full time operaters, mechanics, side walks and subs. We would have one hell of a time dispatching doing it your way.

What's the name of the company? How do you dispatch work? The town in live only has 4500 people, something not right here or we are being spooned feed kibbles and bits. Can't help with out all the noodles Of info.

Hell when I walk in to the war room I can see via GPS where all the crews are and if they confirmed Their work assignments, can tell if their plowing, salting, stacking, or hauling.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.