1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Called to clear up another contractors mess.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shooterm, Dec 8, 2010.

1. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Operator got told by the boss to head out to a large retail lot to stack snow. The lot is under contract by another contractor that was repeatly told to stack the snow by store manager but he only has pickups so stacking didnt happen. While stacking with the loader a huffy guy(no clue who he is in a tight networking town) shows up with his brand new plow/plow truck and told operator he'd stack it so operator could leave. Operator told him blank faced to go to talk to the manager. He jumped in his pickup burned out on the ice and took off. Operator stacked the snow, mentioned it to the boss afterwards and bossman just smiled. Anyways I'm just wondering has this happened to anyone else. Another thing you think this hourly charge is paid for straight by the store or cut from the contractors pay?

Hehe I hope you enjoy this "story".

2. We get this at least 3-4 times per year cause the guy that does next to our lot does a crappy job

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Going through this right now, I have gotten quite a few jobs from a sub par contractor in my area, it is getting to the point that I just know who people are complaining about when I get phoned by new contracts

4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

u get what u pay for.....

5. Fiske Plowing

Fiske Plowing Member

isnt that the truth. we have had an instance were we bid a large property last year and was told that they found some one cheeper., Funny thing was they called the night before the biggest storm of the season and was told the account was ares because the other contractor couldnt provide proof of insurance. again you get what you pay for

6. Subseven

Subseven Member

Large lots require loaders usually. He should have leased one and parked it there if it was a worth while contract or at least included the lease in his bid.

7. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

He could of went two blocks down the road rented a loader from united rentals and did it in a hour. He could of also turned around to see the other lowballer at walmart with the telehandler and give him some beer money. Basically he wants to cheap out or is intimidated by the machine since he most likely has zero experience. Most of the time I would say atleast he's trying but I'm done with that attitude its time to go cutthroat.ussmileyflag

8. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I got called on our first storm of the year to clean up after someone else and ended up picking up 2 additional contracts out of it