1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Called about insurance, doesn't seem right???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by blackDiesel, Oct 6, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

I've been calling around to get a 1 million liabilty coverage for the upcoming season. I am a subcontractor but don't have a business in my name. The insurance company I called today said that I have to have an established/registered business to carry commercial coverage to push snow for another company. Does this seem right??? :help:(I'm in Michigan) The other two companies I called mentioned nothing of having to have a business in my name... appreciate your help-

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It is possible to get commercial insurance without having a business name. However it is much easier, and alot less liability to start up a LLC and run the snowplowing through that. At least if you ever did enough damage to something and exceeded the limits of your policy they can only go after the LLC, and not you yourself personally.

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Call.....Maggie at Ivey and Brown...1-810-632-6777....She will answer any of your questions in an honest way...Has the best rates i have found....

4. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

okay, I'll give them a call... I'll let you know what they say-

5. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

its only $15 to register a dba. plus once you do, you have many more options for doing your taxes. your better off doing it if not an llc.

6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Do a simple dba or if your going to get more serious down the road use legalzoom.com and get an LLC Or a Corporation. Its worth it for an LLC to protect your assets from potential liability.

7. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

That's funny that you said to call Ivy. I've been dealing with Maggie for 6 years now, one of the nicest people I know.