1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

call out procedures

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by goosegettr, Dec 5, 2011.

1. goosegettr

goosegettr Junior Member

just wondering what you guys with several trucks and or subs do when you pull the trigger
    call each one with a 1 am wake up???
    mass text??

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

beginning of the season/orientation i make sure i have everyones number correct, and usually try to get multiple numbers (cell and home.) I ask if they have texting and majority of them do, some dont. But anyways I put them all into a group in my phone, then when I know its supposed to snow, I send out a text with details.

say were supposed to get 4" of snow and its supposed to start at like 7pm and end around 12/1am. I may just call 1 or 2 guys to come in and keep a few of our sites open, but then I will send out max text stating something like.....

Hey all, were supposed to be getting about 4" of snow tonight starting around 7 and finishing up at about 1am. Plan on coming in or reporting to your site at 1am unless i tell you otherwise later. Please respond. (this works well.)

If its only a possiblity of snow, or a really light accumulation (1" or less), which will most likely just be a salting only even or minimal trucks needed.

Hey all, were supposed to see some light snow tonight, about an inch or so. Please just keep your phones on through the night and I will call you as I need you.

Same with a salt only run, I put all my salters and a sidewalk crew in the phone, and text them to be ready or report at x time to start salting operations.

Works well and saves a lot of time from having to call 15 people.

but I tell them all at the beginning of the season, always have your phone on at night. You never know what can happen, and I may not give you any notice. I will always try too but sometimes it just happens and wasnt really predicted and such.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Those are both great, expecially with lots of drivers and or less experienced.

I have two trucks so one other driver and two subs. All have been plowing for numerous years and we all live within our 5-6 mile work radius. For the most part I am able to just "let them go" We may talk about an event the day before but they tend to get up on there own and then we cross paths at a large complex we work together about halfway through our routes. Radios, phones and text work great to connect with each other once we have started / finishes or need help. Usually a phone call early in an event is a problem that someone can't get going.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I got into the habit of calling everyone the day before. I don't have to worry about our employee's but sometimes the subs can leave you hanging. When our trigger is reach we just start calling everyone who's on the list.

5. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have 4 trucks, and we set a ballpark start time for the storms, which usually gets changed when the conditions change. I use text messaging for all communications. Works well with the younger set.

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I do the same as Brian..call a day or 2 ahead just to verify there are no potential issues. For the last 2 years i have had about 17 guys to work ..so that's alot of potential issues during a storm...I went to Cricket (pay by month) and got a second cell phone just in case my primary went down and forward that number to all the guys also,
    Steve

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I wasn't counting the sidewalk crew which was discussed in a previous thread. As I mentioned there, we have more people then needed on the list. They do get called or messaged the day before on a hierarchial list based mainly on years with us. Then I have 2-3 "leaders" people that I call when I need the crews and they make the calls to the other guys. We usually have around 15 off the list of around 25 working in a storm.

8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

i do the same as well just with a text. I will send a text a day in advance (usually becasue any more than that and the forecast has changed 50 times) and just say snow storm tomorrow/tomorrow night. If theres any issues please contact me ASAP, otherwise i will provide you with further information later. Please respond.

then as the storm is ongoing or near i begin utilizing the messages above.

Some of the older guys dont text so i call them, but 90% of my guys do, and its a lot easier to just type 1 message out and send it to a saved group as oppose to calling 15 or so guys.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Combo of multi-texts & calls. Like others said, a day or 2 in advance giving some "heads up"....then run down the list when it starts happening.

10. waterboy

waterboy Member
    from mn

employees are responsible for "knowing" the weather. No text, phone calls only. If they don't answer their phone, the phone gets blown up.. i.e. called non stop. if they still don't answer then they are gone.

11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I go across the hall and wake my brothers up- one drives my '03 truck and the other runs the ATV.... works really well haha!

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I call everyone the day before and tell them the tentative plan. Then I call them about an hour before I need them.