1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Call me stupid...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by glenspot, Sep 9, 2004.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

For the sake of this discussion lets just assume that all is equal, that trucks never break down, that good employees are easy to find and the every customer pays as soon as their statement arrives.

Our area ALWAYS exceeds 200 inches of snow every year. I was just doing numbers in my head, and this seems unrealistic....but you tell me if its likely...ok?

200 inches of snow for the season. Lets say we get 20 storms with 10 inches each storm. (I know that we will get more frequent storms with fewer inches, but I need a general figure to work with)

Thats 20 plows per customer. For the sake of this example each one is $35.

So, I should expect to see $640 from each customer for the season.

How many properties should I plan on for each truck on the road?? In another discussion they are talking about 100 per truck. I would never be able to do that. So, I'm thinking 50 per truck? (Provided that they are all in a manageable distance from each other)

With this math.....each truck should gross (before ALL expenses) $32,000 per season, right?

Tell me where I screwed this up.

And if i didn't screw this up.... is this a decent income for the business?
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If everything was perfect like you said then 32K is the least I would expect from a truck. with that much snow I better be making 60K per truck at the minimum. Your truck should always make about twice as much as an employees truck. as far as 100 sits per drive? I don't believe many could keep that up 30 to 50 would be pushing it if they were average for around here.
  3. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

first of all, 35 times 20= 700, not 640
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Thats funny.. And I plan on running a business with those math skills!

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

hey stupid sorry but you asked to be called it :) thats alot of snow a year dont bite off more than you can chew. do you have backup drivers becuase alot can happen when you push that much snow. how long you been plowing? good luck in your endevor
  6. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

This is my first year...

This is my first year...and not that I actually plan on doing that much... just thinking of the possibilities.

I actually LOVE plowing. I love my truck, I love the experience. I love the look of a clean driveway. etc etc...

I am hoping to get 10 clients this winter....but I guess I never really thought of how much money is POSSIBLE, you know.

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

glenspot, get you a good calculator :) . I think that 10 is a good number of clients to start with. Make sure that they all open up at different times, cause it is hard to have more than 2 locations completely clean at the same time, if it snowing very hard at all. Being brand new to plowing it is very important that you do a good job and having a bunch of lots will make that difficult. :waving:
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You guys must get a lot more snow than we do. Is there a site online that lists how much on average locations get?

We usually get between 5-15 plowable events (and use about a 2.5 to 3" trigger) and maybe only one or two is over 8"... the rest is just like 3-4" crap. I usually gross about $7-10000Cdn. per year.... the truck runs from 2:30am nonstop til afternoon.

My residentials start at $35 per plow... my commercials start around $100. I gross approximately $1000 per night (last year, that is).

What have I missed? How does a single truck make between 32 and 60k per year? It would have to be out every day!!! Apparantly I don't get a fraction of the snow you guys get.....
  9. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I just posted some snow pics from our area.

I called our city crew today and asked them how many times they go out and plow. I was very clear when I asked him .. that I don't mean when they go out and push back snowbanks...i mean REAL HONEST plowing.

He said that a lot of time they work overtime starting in November then stop in April....

I said, "so...you figure you go out at least 30 times" ... he said. ..OH GOD..AT LEAST. So, like I said before. If the city plows go out...its a plow for me, because they'll leave that nasty pile at the end of my customers driveway.

We ALWAYS get 200+ inches. (I just checked the old Farmers Almanac online, and it says to expect snow during 3 of the 4 weeks in October....YIPPEEE)

How much snow do you get?
  10. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

If you guys want a profitable customer, look to healthcare. I have several group home tyoe customers and nursing homes. They pay everytime I come through and dont allow any buildup. I have a route about 10 miles each way and by the time i reach the end we start over again. They cant afford to have snow in the way of rescues and vistors.just my 2 cents but seems to work. I am now doing a 4 acre lot this year and hope to be able to keep up.we'll see.may endup subing ifi cant keep up with it.