1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Call Back

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Matson Snow, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I live in an Subdivision that has a Private road....I have been plowing it for a few years..Due to other commitments i am no longer going to plow this Road......I am also on the Board of the HOA..I told the board i would handle getting the bids for the road...

I took out the phone book and called 5 companys that were local.All the companys i have seen around and a couple of them are rather Large......I talked to 2 and left detailed messages for the rest...That was 2 weeks ago and have not heard from any of them...

I was just wondering if this is the state of our industry.....:help:..:dizzy:
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I used to plow it...I'm on the board...wondering if I can get a quote?....Sounds like a justification for price. Whether your intentions are good or not, I think there might be a conflict. As a professional member of an HOA you should declare that. "Conflict of Interest."
  3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Around here most contractors are not even thinking about snow yet, except myself that's how I get most of my jobs I just call people back. I don't understand how some contractors stay in business. Good luck with getting someone.
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I gotta say when someone calls me for a price and they "talk the talk" I feel like they are just checking prices, imho
  5. Matson Snow

Did declare that...Not fishing for a price and made that Clear....Told all the contractors in the message and the couple i talked to that the contract would be awarded within 2 weeks......I think you guys are missing the Point....NONE of them even called back...That seems to be a trend in the Lawn&Snow field......The Previous board had a Hell of a time getting someone out to bid the lawn mowing....
  6. Matson Snow

Why would you not be thinking about snow...If you talk to the top Snow contractors..They think about snow Most of the time.....I think if someone calls about a bid .....You should call them back at the very least......
  7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty bad when Jim won't even call you back! :eek: :laughing:

I bet your HOA has been "blacklisted" Todd becasue they're too hard to deal with. Let's be honest, YOU don't even want to di it anymore.

Try calling ajslands, he may be interested............................. :rolleyes:

OK, now to the serious part. I see this exact thing every year around here in construction. People just get burned out this time of year it seems, and just don't follow up like they really should. I'm sure it's not real easy to be optimistic in your area right now.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Be sure to remind him he'll need a DOT # for that. :laughing:

Same way around here Joe. Usually requires a couple rattles on the cage to get any results. No one wants to talk about it this time of year. Have to make several calls not just one.
  9. Matson Snow

:laughing::laughing:.....There is some truth in all that you said.....Jim used me like a cheap Detroit Crack Wh%^e....Than threw me aside....They are a pain in the A@# to deal with..The School superintendent lives in here and hes a Big jackpole....And for ajislands goes i will make no comment...the boy gets Upset when you tease him....
  10. Matson Snow

Go easy on the Lad B&B....:laughing:...He gets upset easy...:dizzy:
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I get a headache from just reading the letters HOA. Oh ouch, typing it hurts too. I'll skip their issues for sure!
  12. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Todd, I'll do it for ya... Same price as we talked last year? I sent you a PM... I'll actually get it done on time and when they want it too... Not going to mention any names
  13. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I think about snow all yr long. most guy around just do snowplowing for extra cash and don't understand that its a job for me not a hobby. They start thinking about snow in Oct. but that's fine with me I just pick up more work that way. Yes I agree if you get a call even if you don't want the job at least call them back and let them know.
  14. Matson Snow

Im sorry to hear this..Your Knowledge will be missed.....:confused::dizzy::waving:
  15. JDiepstra

Oh that's right I forgot.... you're on the board. So you are the PITA!!!!!!
  16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm AMAZED at how much work I get because I answer the phone or call people back.

how do these people stay in business?

2 weeks ago I answered the phone at 9:30 at night (I had been asleep) because you know IT'S MY JOB. I went out the next day to look at it and booked a couple thousand dollar job.

from answering the phone.

90% of work is showing up.
  17. Matson Snow

Could not agree more.....
  18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

My best account is a HOA....I am more than happy to cater to them. It pays well.

Bingo!! I cant even remember how many times a customer has told me that I had the job, just cause I showed up to look at it when I told them I would.(after i gave them a price of course)

Matson, to bad I'm not closer...I would love to get more work like that. Good luck in your search.
  19. JDiepstra

More power to you. I wish I could find some like yours.........
  20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Soooo...you sit on the board AND are the snow contractor, who is now bidding the job. And you wonder why contractors won't call you back.:dizzy: