1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Call back clause

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MidcoastMainiac, Sep 4, 2011.

1. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

OK, who uses a call back clause in seasonal contracts to bill out additional money for your time and materials? IE snowdrifts beyond 24 or 48 hours beyond a storm or cars not moved within your 24-48 hours after a storm or sand/salting for thaw/freeze situations.

Mainiac

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I'm out of the office until tues...shoot me a pm (to remind me) and I'll share what I have

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We have a service charge of $20 if you move your cars to late. If your car is in the drive after 10am and we have made our final pass it will cost them the extra. If we have high winds days after a storm we will still take care of drifting for no extra charge.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No call back charge for me either.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I'm responsible foe place for 8 hours after storm them it is billed at hourly rate on comm sites
    Residential flat rate to come back for car not being moved or town makind pile at end of drive way usually $40

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I continue to fail to understand this concept of charging extra on a seasonal job.

The price is the price. It could snow three times or thirty times. Two inches or ten inches per storm. The wind usually blows during the winter, causing drifts. Thaw/refreeze is part of this business, especially on coastal Maine.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I also have a high snow clause if it goes over 10 inches I get a extra $50 for a driveway and more on comm lots as well.
    You can not price out unlimited service, my guys get paid per hour fuel is extra salt and calcium is extra. So if I call you back every storm you wrecking twice the work then if my neighbor does not call you back so why would the price be the same?
    You also need to define what a storm is how long after it stops snowing, before it starts again it it then considered a new storm. Melting and refreezin should not be included for free you can only maintain or be responsible for a X number of hours after the storm is over, if not you need to drive all your sites every night looking for cars to me moves,refreeze anything. That is why they have a building mgnr to call you and say hey we need you to do X and then you can charge them

So in Maine how do you charge, what do you get for a driveway? How do you bill comm work?
    I get around $500-$600 per residential driveway up to 12 storms all under 10 inches and over 10 inchesi get extra $50 also $50 for call backs from cars not being moved or from town plowing end of driveway back in so basically anything that is not my fault or out of my control
    No one can provide unlimited services or they would be out of business

8. grandview

As stated above ,seasonal is one price.Yes salting is an extra charge with me. With your 10 incher you have;) are you saying you charge extra if you get 11 inches of snow at one time? If so,where where you for the first 10 inches and why where you not out plowing when it started snowing.

9. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

grandview do you do commercial properties on seasonal? if so do you also charge extra on salt for them? or are your commercial seasonals all included ,salt, walks, plowing? thank you

10. grandview

All seasonal,salt is extra and they have to call me.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the stuff we plow is all in. Everything except loader work. If they have to call for something besides loader work your not doing your job.

12. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

So, CET, if you are plowing for a law office that goes on a trip and leaves 10 cars in their parking lot for an undetermined length of time and it snows an 8"-10" storm on the second day they are gone. When they get back a week or maybe even two weeks later and finally move their cars with no storms in the near future and they call you to come plow and sand that area even though this is not a zero tolerance contract, you would consider this as within your contract?

This is what happened to me last year.

13. grandview

That's right and that's what I would do.Remember it costs less to do something like this then spend time and money trying to get new customers.All my customers I've had are over 10 years ,if you nickel and dime people they might look for someone new.

14. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Grandview you would at least be able to bill out the salt/sand, so in a way you would get comped for your time.

15. grandview

If they ask for salt, if not I go over and plow out that area at no charge..

16. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Grandview, Are your contracts so expensive that you can support providing an unlimited service? Or do you make up for it in other aspects of business?

17. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I mean no disrespect to anyone, with the number of people getting into this business and the profit margins are getting smaller and smaller, I am trying tio find out how to reduce this kind of call back situations. Has happened several times to me.

18. grandview

Using your example of the law office. How long would that take to cleanup? 10 minutes? Grab a coffee and go.

19. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

That example pulled me off a job site that was 45 minutes from my plow rig 20 minute drive to the law office 10 minutes to complete 20 minutes back to tool truck 45 minutes back to job site and very understanding customers.

Asked if it could wait until end of work day and they said no(not so understanding customers). This is only circumstance where a conflict happens between the two incomes. And I could not get ahold of anyone that plows and sands tp cover it(no storms in sight, so people were either off playing or doing their own jobs)

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a situation that might warrant an additional bill. Maybe. I would consider how well the job pays, how long they've been with you, etc. before sending a bill. And I would think it over carefully. Last thing you want to do is give them a reason to call someone else for pricing. If one extra trip out to do some cleanup is the difference between making money and losing money, you're not charging enough to begin with.

Three year contracts will really even out your seasonal accounts.