1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Caliper problems on newer fords?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SLSNursery, Jan 9, 2006.

1. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

We have a couple 2004 550s that seem to have had the inside of the rear caliper stick, wearing down the pad and then grinding in. This occured way before any of the other pads even show wear. It also occured on both the left and right side. Our '99 F-350, with some miles on it was due for brakes, but it showed the same type of uneven wear. Any comments?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Just did rears on our 99 F250 and had the same thing, had to replace one caliper mount and 2 pins, frozen solid and a ball of rust. Parts supplier said not to use anti-seize on the pins but to use a silicon based lubricant.

3. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

The caliper sliders are the WORST on fords. You usually can't tell if there sticking either - It seems that at every oil change the slides should be pulled out and greased. It would be so nice if there could be a grease fitting.
    Joel

4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Yeah found that out on the rear of my truck too. Actually ate up both rotors. Found that the slides were seized up. However, in the front one was so stuck it took heat to get it out. I lubed em up and no problems since.

5. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

The caliper slides should be replaced every time the brakes are.

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks

Thank you for your input. I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in this battle. I definitely agree that the slides are sticking, and it seems clear enough to see what the problem is. I tend to agree with Joel that they would have to be lubed at each oil change. The trucks never seem to make it to a regular brake job, and if you don't check all the wheels every time, you'll never know which one is sticking.

By the way, didn't the reverse problem occur on the older mid-late 80s fords? I seem to remember the calipers slid too much and you could hear them clunking all the time. Of course some part of the front end was always under repair anyway!

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The 80's Fords are just as bad with the sticking calipers.They chew up the inside pad rather quickly when seized. I pull mine off every 6 months,clean the channels and re-grease them. If the retainer pins are rusted I replace them. Never had a problem with clunking noises on my trucks or my Dad's.

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

There is an updated caliper slide pin kit from Ford.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

lubricate, lubricate, lubricate.

Did I mention lubricate. We destroyed one set on our older 550 then took the new one apart and put anti-seize on everything. The biggest problem is Ford not putting any lubrication on them from the factory. Probably saves a buck or two. Morons.

10. MickiRig1

All the engineers must all forget about water, dirt and corrosion when they design stuff. Maybe they still think most people trade in the vehicle after the first set of brakes are toast.

11. I had a stuck caliper on the right side. With some help from some message boards I was able to figure out that's what it was. No wonder the truck was pulling to one side.

12. MickiRig1

Yeah, you want to catch it before it chews up a not easy / not cheap to replace rotor.
    Like my Grandpa told my Dad when he would complain about parts prices:
    "You got a Truck now son,you pay truck prices for parts!"