1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

caliper grease

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan MI, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

88 1/2 Ton

Driver side wheel was getting VERY HOT. Posted question here. Answer was change caliper. Did that. Works great. No heat. Stops well.

Reading Chilton's's book and doing a search here I may have missed a step.

Was I supposed to use a special lubricant somewhere ? If so where and do I need to take it off again to lube ??

Thanks in advance for any help !!

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

if you want to pull the slider pins out wire wheel them and lube them you can use never sieze but if the caliper moves freely on the pins you dont have to bother doing this

3. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

It might be worth taking apart and using some never seize . They might be moving now but they won't for long with all the salt and grime . Do the bollts and the sliding surfaces on top and bottom. If you just had them off it won't take more than 20 minutes. I don't put ANYTHING back together without never seize.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Agreed. Antisieze is the way to go. Just don't coat the pads with it :D

Speaking of coating pads, did you (or did they come factory) coat the backside with anti-squeel goop? I find a lot of new pads come with a layer of something on there already. If it is apart anyways it probably doesn't hurt...

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Since the early 70's or maybe it was 69, GM switched a floating caliper on the front disk setups. OK the dates aren't important it just how it works to save money using multi piston calipers. They are still used, just found on more expensive performance vehicles. Other brands too, save buy using these. You have no signature but for the reason I am a GM freak I was assuming GM. I'm probably wrong... lol
    The piston is only on one side so to put pressure on both sides evenly of the rotor, the caliper has to move very freely side to side that's why it has to move extremely easy. Antisieze is way to go like clark lawn, ticki2 and derekbroerse stated above it will keep salt from causing a chemical reaction and keep the pins moving freely. It's always good maintenance to check and clean the sliders annually.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  6. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Thanks for the replies. On my way now to get the anti-seize.

As to where to apply.

Wouldn't just the outside of the sleeves need it. everything else is stationary. Or is that wrong.

Thanks !!