1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

California Dreaming

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Plow Chaser, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

When people think of California, they think of sun, beaches, Hollywood, Redwoods, and hot blondes everywhere. Well not all of California is that. Today I took a drive up to the Sierras where they've been getting dumped on with snow. There's gotta be over 15 feet up there. The most snow I've seen in a long time. I've made friends with the Supervisor for Caltrans and got the ride of my life today. In the following pictures you will see how California moves snow. They took me all over the place today in what is considered an area that receives more snow than most any other part of North America. And the monster of a Kodiak blower. Awesome power. A Turbo V-12, $750,000 machine. It sounds like an airplane taking off. It's just awesome. After getting pictures of it, they let me drive it up I-80 for about 2 miles, going litterally 1 mile an hour. Needless to say, California may have Disneyland, I got a different kind of Disneyland today!! Who needs Space Mountain when machinery like this exists!!

Enjoy!

Ryan

Graders Plowing.jpg

2. Plow Chaser

Graders plowing a rest stop.

Graders Plowing 2.jpg

3. Plow Chaser

And here's the Kodiak blower!!

Blower 1.jpg

4. Plow Chaser

More of the blower.

Blower 2.jpg

5. Plow Chaser

And more of the blower!

Blower 3.jpg

6. Plow Chaser

And one more of the Kodiak

Blower 4.jpg

7. Plow Chaser

Here's one of a Rolba Blower. Not as impressive as the Kodiak.

Blower 5.jpg

8. Plow Chaser

Can't forget the trucks!

Caltrans Autocar.jpg

9. Plow Chaser

This is the end!

Caltrnas International.jpg

10. jmurphy

jmurphy Member

WOW. That blower is awesome!!

11. J29

J29 Senior Member

Great pics...
    I have to give you credit, you post some of the best pics on the site. I'll need them to get me through to next winter, since it seems this one is done in RI. J.

12. Plow Chaser

J29,

Thanks for the props on the pics. I try my best. Here's another one for you to dream about when there is no snow. This is just on the side of the road. Keep in mind, my truck is your standard ZR2. The banks had to be over 25 feet high.

St Pattys Day in the Sierras Truck.JPG

13. Plow Chaser

Here's another one to reminisce about!

St Pattys Day in the Sierras (12).jpg

14. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

nice pictures. I have a question on the blower pics. Is it me or is that blower going against traffic when it operation? Why do they blow it across the cleaned part of the roads?

15. Plow Chaser

They blow across the road at times because one side has no more room for snow, or there is an obstruction there. I asked the operator the same question. In this case, there is the Shell gas station there. If they blow it on the right side, it would plug up his back lot. They allow the crews to work against traffic along on and off ramps, just not on the mainline.