1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Caliber 1000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

anybody hear of this stuff? I got an e-mail from somebody on plowsite that works for a local company selling this stuff. the website is www.syntechproducts.com I would like to buy pretreated salt, but I was wondering how it compared to magic

2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

The magic distributor here also carry's caliber, I'm waiting for pricing, to see how it compares with Magic -0.

Bill

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Same company, very similar product. I think you would be very happy with both. The caliber m1000 tends to run a little cheaper than Magic, and is a lighter color, rather than the dark brown of Magic.

Stay tuned for pretreated, bagged Caliber products for this season !

4. Big Nate's Plowing

cool, I can get this product locally whereas I would have to drive a ways to get magic

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Actually, the bagged may not be produced where you are, but of course it is shipped all over the U.S., so no matter if you want bags, barrels, Magic, or Caliber, it can all be shipped to your door.

6. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Magic and Caliber M100 are NOT the same! Although they are similar in cost and do essentially the same job, the Caliber M1000 cannot be used to treat salt/salt piles. Magic is used to treat salt piles and can also be used directly as a liquid deicer/ant-icer. It is brown in color. The ability to treat your own salt piles or have your dealer treat your bulk salt can really help your bottom line. Just something to consider...

Caliber M1000 is used as a liquid deicer/anti-icer only. It is mostly clear in color so some prefer it over the brown Magic for pretreating roads, etc. There is Caliber M2000 which can be used for pretreating salt and also direct application but it is priced higher than Magic or Caliber M1000 and it is blue in color.

Magic's brown color is water soluable, rinses out easily with plain water and is non-staining. Same with the colorants for M1000 and M2000

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Actually you can use M1000 for treating salt, it's just not recommended by the manufacturer. Supposedly it doesn't 'stick' as well to salt. A competitor has been doing it for a couple years around here.

8. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Sure, anything can be sprayed into a salt pile, but the reason M1000 is not recommended is that it tends to leach out. If you are spending in the neighbor hood of $2 a gallon to spray your salt pile, do you really want 10 or 20 gallons leaching away? Magic stays in the salt, we have seen piles that sat all year and no problems as longs as they were covered.

Stick with what is recommended and get the results you expect. Just my opinion....:waving:

9. Big Nate's Plowing

I am going to try to get a sample of both liquids and test them both this winter, but I havnt gotten any pricing information

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Caliber M1000 is a liquid de-icer, and Caliber M2000 is a mixture of Caliber de-icer and magchloride, and is specifically designed for stockpile treatment. Salt treated with M2000 is 70% less corrosive then straight rock salt according to their literature.

Bill

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Bill, the difference between 1000 and 2000 is the amount of corn steep\vegetable matter\whatever the heck it is that it contains. The 1000 is 70/30 mag chloride and corn steep. If I remember corrrectly the 2000 is like 60/40 or something like that. The corn steep is what gives the liquids the ability to 'stick better' to salt, which is why they recommend 2000 for pre-wetting and stockpile treatment.

The contractor around here has used 1000 for pre-wettting and not had a problem with it. Maybe it doesn't work as good, but apparently it works.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

anybody have an idea as to the cost per gallon for the m2000? I am still waiting for a reply from the company rep

13. Big Nate's Plowing

well I just got off the phone with them and it looks like $7.00 a bag or $336 a pallet which is alot cheaper then magic which was $11.00 a bag the last time I checked. I am going to get some samples and post some pictures of the bagged salt

~Nate~

14. how did this stuff work out for you?

thanks..