1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating Salt Usage - SnowDogg

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by G.Landscape, Nov 24, 2011.

1. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

So we are trying to figure out a way to track our salt usage better. We just got a new Saltdogg SHPE2000 and wondering the bext way to track how much salt is going down.

So far I am thinking to load 1/2yrd buckets of salt into the spreader and mark the level on the inside of the hopper.(.5-2.5) Then when the driver is done the lot he can look and see how much has been used.

Example: Completely full when he laves the shop =2.5 yards, after first lost he is down near 1.5 yard mark so he used 1 Yard.

Any better ideas?? Maybe suggestions on what to mark the hopper with so it doesn't wear away?? I don't think they make an electric tracking unit for the Saltdogg yet??

2. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Fill your spreader like you normally would. Now use a stopwatch or your smart phone and time how long it takes to empty the entire load. Use the same spinner speed as you normally would use during salting. Now when you salt your lot, use a stopwatch again and time how many second/minutes you use during the lot. Do that a few times and go with an average. Or do a dry run just using your pickup without salting the lot while timing it. Doing during a storm is a huge pain.

3. HTI

HTI Member

We have lines on the inside of the hopper as you said. We use one of those white markers that are oil resistant. There is no way to get it perfect but this seems to help.

4. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

On mine I put the auger speed on 2 and the spinner on 6. Spinner speed will have to be adjusted with every lot or driveway depends on the width.
    Just make sure the spinner speed is always greater than the auger speed.

The next best thing would be a scale under the spreader to see how much weight you have......and how much you dropped on each lot....
    I have been looking for one but no luck yet