1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium? What do you guys use that for?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by duramax, Jan 18, 2002.

1. duramax

duramax Junior Member

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and was reading a few of the posts. I noticed that you always talk about buying calcium. What do you use it for? We plow just over 100 homes and about 25 commercial lots. We all run with Fisher plows and they're great! Buy the way, do you guys have contracts or is it mostly paid by the shot. I'm way up in Montreal, Canada and we do everything by contract. I love it when it doesn't snow.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i only use calcium on walkways where the owner specifies it.

once in a great while i will use it in a lot but its very rare because of the cost
  3. duramax

duramax Junior Member

So in other words, calcium is like salt then right?
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Calcium Cholride is used as a deicer. It is very corrosive to metals, and will harm plants and vegetation.
    Good part is that CC works to well below 0, in part because it is endothermic. Meaning that when in the presence of moisture it will react and create heat, helping with the melting. Once the CC has reached the point where it is diluted enough, it will refreeze tho. It also leaves a white greasy residue if over applied.
    Biggest application for CC is in masonary and concrete work, where they use CC to keep the mix from freezing in cold weather, and to help it cure.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i would be sure to only use it where the property owner specifies calcium on their sidewalk and is aware of the long term effects. calcium will "flake" concrete big time. regular salt, if temps permit, is you best bet.
  6. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Bienvenue a bord Duramax,

Now with Mr Soucy(administator)we are 3 here from Quebec. May be plowsite will need to add "déneigement" to is meta tag, if we want more french canadaian fellows.

Here, around Sherbrooke we got snow every 2 days, but only 2 inches per events, not enough to do the "per push" job. Our biggest snowfall was 14cm( 6 inches) on dec 31. We'd received a total of 130 cm (48").

About your question, Comparison of Sodium Chloride and Calcium Chloride
  7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I only use calcium at one account a Doctors Office where he specified he wanted calcium. He claims salt from patients boots mess up his carpets in his office. Calcuim works pretty good but is expensive compared to salt. Don't get any on your skin. A flake got down my boot once and put a burn on my foot.

8. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

We use a calcuim sand mix when we sand here. Only thing we use.