1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium vs Rock salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kolkie05, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Dumb question but for the last two years we have strictly done plowing with bagged rock salt applied for a few customers. This year were hoping to expand and some companies are asking for Calcium chloride to be dropped on sidewalks. Can you guy's tell me the difference between the two and price difference? comparing say a 50lb bag of rock salt to the calcium?

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

It wont damage the concrete/vegetation like rock salt. 3x the price though
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It won't?

OP, do a SEARCH and you will have hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of reading.
  4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

oh boy.....
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cliff notes=Cost is almost double per bag. Doesn't last ask long .
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Try 4x the cost of salt.

And neither will harm the concrete.
  7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto to what Mark said, do a search, way more info about the difference between the 2 than one could type into a reply...

Calcium is much "hotter" than rock salt and works much faster, but seems to dilute alot faster too. Many companies here only use calcium on walks, and in general use less than 1/2 of what they would use with rock salt. Calcium last year was $13 a bag, while salt was under $4. Cost of course depending on your supplier...

Oh, and keep it dry... Calcium absorbs moisture unlike rock salt, and it's way less forgiving. A gash in a bag of calcium needs to be taped up for storage, and any spilled on the floor gets cleaned up right away, don't ask me how I learned both of these pieces of advice... ;)
  8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

9. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

Hi, im new to this can anyone give me some info on calcium. I have about 15,000 squar feet that needs it, and i have never used it. Also maybe a basic overview, pricing, and coverage vs salt? thanks
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

And you call yourself Michigansnowking!!!!!
  11. terrapro

from MI

Actually its MichigansnowKIN, he must have relatives in the snow.
  12. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

Thanks for the help, its good to know there are still people like you out there willing to say things to make themselves feel better about themselves. Good Luck with you're business. The Michigan Snow Kin P.S I am the only one in my family who is in the snow business, everyone else is in Iraq. :salute:
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Great, another new member with an attitude. :rolleyes:
  14. terrapro

from MI

Follow this link that I already supplied that just so happens to be the post above your first worthless post and you will learn about calcium...here I will supply the link AGAIN since you know its a whole 5 posts up....:mad: http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterat...b.pdf?filepath=/173-01526.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I jumped to a conclusion, my apologies. Didn't know one's name could be longer than 15 characters and assumed you ran out of room.

I'm of the opinion a self imposed title should have validity.....your question is basic and has been asked and answered 100's if not 1,000's of times. The search feature here is your friend and should be used. The same questions over and over (and over) can be annoying to most.

Allow me to start over......welcome to Plowsite sir. :salute:
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Now it makes less sense to me.....

Thanks and prayers for your brave family members.:salute:ussmileyflag

Also, there are a couple of posts attached for some reading for you.

Best of luck in YOUR business
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gives us something to do, right?:gunsfiring::gunsfiring: