1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium Vs Rock Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JDsnowremoval, Nov 9, 2005.

1. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Hey guys Im new to this site but not to snow plowing... We currantly have 3 homedepots we will be taking care of this winter and one of them requested Calcium only... I have never used calcium in my past its always been sand , salt , or Salt/Salt mix... I was wondering if i could get some advise on Where i could purchase calcium in CT in bulk... What kind of Calcium to use... Liquid or pelletts ( the store dossent care what kind i use) and the cost if possible.... The parking lot consists of a homedepot and a BJ's and is almost 500,000 Sqare ft .If possible im trying to figure out how much i would need per application.... This all just kind of got thrown at me we had the contract signed for sand/salt and now they want me to edit the contract and put calcium only and they want a new price (This is a seasonal price also) ... Whats the cost differance between the 2 ... Thanks Everyone for your help!!!

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Were are you located?I see your website says PA but your plowing in CT?

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Calcium is about 3 times the cost of salt. I use pelletts. No idea about buying in bulk. You need to mix a little salt in with the Calcium to activate it. Calcium is good on ice, not to sure about every storm applications. Be careful of the pavement come spring time too....

4. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

We are based out of CT check the web site again ... it had .com at the end of it but its .net...... Yeah according to the store they want calcium only and all season long... so bulk is going to be what i need for that store ... All of the other stores just want regular sand/salt mix ... figures one picky store lol but have to do what they want to keep them happy

5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Ok i see you have now corrected it.Your best bet if you have the room is buy it buy the trailer load.When we did the home depots we used to put a 20ft container on site,in it was our skid steer,shovels,fuel,snow blowers,and a pallet of material

6. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

What homedepots did you use to do if you dont mind me asking? You can PM me if you would like ... Yeah i agree we are going to buy it by the truck load with out a doubt thats what we are doing for our sand and salt but the company providing our sand and salt does not carry calcium. Do you know of a place where they sell it in bulk ... Thanks

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Talk with them and see if you can use the calcium on the walkways, crosswalks, foottraffic only type areas and use a rock salt & calcium mix when needed for the lot. The calcium would help to activate the salt in the colder temps when required but other than that there would be no advantage to the calcium in the lots.

I have never heard of calcium being sold in bulk, ie. non-bagged.

8. RX8_with_a_plow

RX8_with_a_plow Junior Member

I bet you can buy calcium at The Home Depot. :) That's probably part of their plan. #1, it's probably one of the cheapest places to get it and they will get the sale. #2, people will see it in use on their way in and think that they need it. Just a guess.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I know a contractor in Columbus, OH that buys it by the truckload. I'd hate to see that invoice.

Other than the cost being way more, it is way, way more corrosive. Gloves are required to use it, it will burn the skin even through clothes and I have even seen recommendations of using a respirator when applying it.

Not sure why you 'have' to mix it with salt. Calcium is 'hotter' than salt and it attracts moisture, which is why it works faster than salt. It also works at colder temps than salt. If anything, you need to mix a little calcium with salt to activate the salt.

Never used it, probably never will due to the above reasons. Magic salt or Extreme Melt will give you just as good of results without all the hassles and it will be cheaper.

10. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Thankyou guys .... i found a place in NJ that would ship calcium up here but its very exspensive.. there minimum deleivery is 22 tons and basicly the truck would cost 9k a truck i was like wow ... so i am going to run this by the HD and see what they say . Thanks again guys!!

11. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I tried to PM you,but it didn't work

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have to be a member for a month and have 25 posts.

13. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

14. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

Haynes materials or Tilcon may sell it by the ton. Good Luck.

15. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

Maybe by now you have solved your delima. If not, try this with them. Magnesium is a lot safer on you and the pavement. Not a lot of diff. in cost, but much safer and less corrosive. Just a thought.

I feel like most others here. They are wanting a product that doesn't need to be used all the time. If you get around to ammedning your contract to use calcium, I would deffinately ammend that you are not responsible for pavement damage. If not, you may be better off not servicing the account.

Oh well, good luck.

16. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

liquid salt brine

hi.try using salt brine.its a liquid and works almost instantly.It weight s 10 poumds per gallon. put a 300 gallon platic tank on a truck and pvc pipe we/hole and open valve and drive in circles.The road dept also uses alot around here. Ya not many outfits use this .go figure. snow belt/lake effect.:waving:

17. Homengarden

Homengarden Junior Member

I basically plow residential.. Most of the drives are at least 500-1000 feet in length. Yet, I only salt when its absolutely neccesary (aprons and walkways). Because I don't need more than 1000lbs, I went to Sams club and got 50 lb bags of Calcium/magnesium for $6 and some change each.I was paying $4+ for rocksalt. For the money I think its more efficient and more pet friendly too!

18. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

what home depots

What depots are you handling in CT