1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium vs Mag Chloride...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowin-fire, Jan 20, 2016.

1. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Been reading studies on the web, posts on the forum, talking to suppliers. I am getting different answers from everyone about which less corrosive, freeze point, crystallization. What I am finding is calcium chloride seems to be the best product, unless you talk to the mag suppliers.

Now about rates... The calcium chloride supplier said to apply at 18 gal per acre. Mag Chloride supplier states about 60 gal per acre. Calcium is $1.20 a gal and mag is $1.80 a gal.

Any thoughts? Or should I be looking into salt brine instead? Live in South Dakota so temps are everywhere. Last week we had lows in the -20s and this week we have lows in the teens.
  2. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

All supplier's I run into will pretty much agree that both have a near equal melting power but the Mag is a little less corrosive and better for animals. Here a 50lb bag of calcium is $18 and a 50lb bag of Mag is $19 and those prices were commercial and may have been pallet prices. I buy enough from my supplier that I usually get pallet price even if i'm only buying a few bags.

*I've always used Calcium because that is what has always been readily available but now that Mag is available I am going to spread around 50-50 for each this year.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure calcium has a lower effective and eutectic temp than mag.

I also believe that mag is somewhat more corrosive--especially on crappy concrete--than calcium.

I also know that mag is "hotter" than calcium, meaning it will melt ice\snow faster than calcium but the downside is that means it dilutes faster which results in a refreeze. Being in a somewhat drier climate than I am, that might not be as much of an issue for you, just something to be aware of.
  4. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

We dont get much for heavy wet snow. Usually late season. Although this season we had 3 storms in a row that were that way in late Nov early Dec.