1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

calcium shortage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by home rescue, Jan 12, 2004.

1. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

OK its jan 12th and now i was just told today that there is a calcium shortage and that my suppliers supplier does not have any more calcium to ship this year and i also got a price increase. Couple weeks ago talked to a different supplier and he raised his price from 10.50 abag to 15.50 a bag 50lbs he also told me the there was a shortage. i can still get all the calcium flake i want but it won't spread in my tailgate spreader, i quess it will work for sidewalks, but will it melt has fast or keep from refreezing faster than pellets. any one heard of a shortage or is the manufacturer just trying to price gouge like the oil companies.:confused:

2. marylandplow

marylandplow Junior Member

calcium shortage?

If you have a sams club close to you it is worth looking into. $5.47for a 50lb bag.Once you sign up as business member you can fax your order in and they will load it on to your truck with a fork lift.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

marylandplow is that 100%calcium that u are getting at sams or is it that roadrunner stuff

4. marylandplow

marylandplow Junior Member

calcium chloride

I bought 2 skids of the calcium chloride/mag blend pellet form. The only problem is a lot of the bags break at the seams.

5. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

guys i to have used the stuff at sams, but it does have rock salt in it along with calcium and mag. product does work real well though. one problem there maybe also, one distributor who sells the SWI product that sams also sells different color bags only he told me there was a shortage about 3 weeks ago also and his price went up 5.oo per bag calcium and 3.00 more per bag for the blend. so my question is price gouging or real shortage, anyone else been told the same.

6. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

wamart has 50# for 4.95

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

calcium pellets here jumped from 8.65 a bag to $13.52 a bag, oh well I'll just use my $2.75 a bag halite;)

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

try home depot

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Wal-Mart has Roadrunner, however it's $5.97 for 50# in Ohio. Home Depot only has Sodium Chloride that I can find. Once again Sam's is probably the best bet. Hey Nate, what is the temp rating on the Halite? Home Depot also has that product.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Nate,

Thats an excellent price for Halite!

My last load was $3.90/50lb, used to be $3.50 last year.

Cant seem to find 80lb er's anymore though. They really sped up the hopper loading procedure. I remember the 80's when they were $3.50/80lb er's! The last 80's I bought were $5.00 each.

As for Pure Calcium Chloride pellets, That last trip got me $13.50 for 50lb er's :eek:

Of course I'm only buying 4-5 bags, could probably get cheaper on a pallet price, but I have no need for that much of the stuff.

Lately I have to watch the product, as last years Halite batches were real fine particles. Kinda reminded me of bagged brown sugar. Real clingy, wouldn't flow through the spreader at ALL This years is nice and course, 1/4" or so.