1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium Question.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ksland, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Have a condo complex that requires calcium chloride for walks, that is simple... Bagged product, apply with a Lesco rotary.

They also want a Sand/Calcium Chloride mix for the roadways.

Is this readily available? I believe most use Sand/Salt mix...correct?

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Anyone? Please?

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

for roadways you would want to use a vbox spreader and the sand/salt should be easy to find. Most landscape supply companies sell the mix per yard. Always available.

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

We used to use Calcium with the state

Hello, it must be in bulk,we used to use it by the hundreds of tons with the state.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd had a long reply written up the other day and lost it in trying to post it. I get disgusted when that happens so usually don't try again on the same thread.

Anyway, what I didn't understand is them wanting a combination of calcium chloride and sand. What is the purpose? Calcium is an expensive ice melter. Sand is for traction only. Mixing sand with the calcium would defeat the purpose of each. There would not be enough calcium to melt the snow. If it melted the snow, then there would be no need for the sand. I think you need to figure a way to tactfully educate the customer.

And, yes, the common mix is sand/salt. I've never heard of anything else being mixed with sand. In this case the salt is used only to keep the sand from freezing and clumping.

6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have a Vbox for the roads, my question was is it common to find Calcium Chloride/sand mix. I know Sand/Salt mix is readily available. How is Calcium/Sand mix defeating eachother? Wouldn't it perform the same as sand/salt? The salt melts ice and sand for traction? I assume they want calcium because of the lawn or tracking it inside?

7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

In Mass Sand salt is used during the storm

Masshighway for whatever reason(In my district anyways) will go 50/50 during the storm in theory for the salt to melt in and the sand to ad grit/traction during the storm.The first pass is normally 100% salt to keep a wet layer between the road and the snowfall to ease in getting down to bare pavement.
    Seems there are different theories on this, some say dont mix salt and sand and others do.Let em rephrase that almost all depts mix sand with 15% salt to keep it from freezing.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  8. Mick

from Maine

The calcium melts the ice, then there is no need for a traction aid (sand).

Not the same purpose as Sand/Salt mix. Salt is mixed with sand only to keep the sand from clumping when it gets to freezing tempuratures. Technically, the sand and the salt both "freeze", they just can't clump. If you notice, salt and sand both freeze when by themselves, but when mixed together, each keep the other from freezing into clumps.

9. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Ok, then Calcium and Sand would keep eachother from freezing, yet not leave the salt residue that can harm grass correct?

Regardless, they know what they want. Right or Wrong. I am just concerned about the availability and price.

10. Mick

from Maine

Yes, I agree with giving the customer what they want. Just charge accordingly.

Just seems that using calcium as a mix is a terrible waste. But by using sand, maybe you get the Spring cleanup?payup

11. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Wow???

Can anyone answer my question? Is Sand/Calcium chloride mix available at most bulk suppliers as is Sand/Salt?

12. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

I know I'm not in your area but yes is should be available at most major suppliers. I get mine from a big gravel pit and const company. $35.00 per ton of chloride sand.

13. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Thank You Robbie!

Good lord, I figured it would be spring b4 someone replied, LOL

So it is not crazy for someone to request this mix.

14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Why not call around yourself to find out instead of waiting for cyberspace to answer?

15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I have yet to see a supplier carry a calcium/sand mix. I would agree that it is a total waste of money too. The only reason I would even consider using CC in bulk would be if the temps were going to be sustained below 0 degrees for a prolonged period of time. In that case I would still use salt/sand mix, but would treat it with liquid. This would give you a salt/sand/CC mix, and would more than CYA. :cool:

16. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

The product we supply is 50% rock salt, 47% sand and 3% calcium chloride.

The calcium is used to keep the rock and sand from freezing.

Simple.