1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium pellets -a lot of big solid chunks!?!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtnbktrek, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Got calcium pellets of a new guy this year bc Morton really dropped the ball. We went through like 4-6 pallets and nearly 1/2 the bags in almost every pallet has large hard chucks sizing from baseballs to baseball glove sizes and almost every bag has golf ball size chunks that clog our shindawa spreaders. It happened to us once with a load from international and they refunded more than half the cost of the load

- was wondering if anybody else has issues ? Who supplied it?

Got the calcium from a company on plow site but haven't called them on it yet so don't wanna give the name yet.

2. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Schoenberg Salt has Calcium Pellets available in Scranton if you need new material. 800-221-5105 If you need to call.

3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Screen it first ?

We make our own bucket salt for door ways. We screen good bulk and add calcium to it. Works out well.

I guess it all depends on the price you are paying though. I would go back to them and be a squeaky wheel

4. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Called you guys - horrible prices

Milazzo in old forge is even cheaper than u guys

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  5. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Yeah we had screens for the spreaders but I have no idea what they did w them they remove them bc the treated salt doesn't pass thru too good
    Guess I'll b cutting screen

6. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Sounds like it is sh1tty product. Might be the reason you got it so cheap. I took a pallet back last year early on of calcium pellet that had chunks in it. At x amount a bag that we pay for calcium i wouldnt except the product.. The dollar more you might pay for a bag from a reputable supplier far out ways a bunch of guys standing there scooping chunks out of the spreaders and trying to get them to work correctly. Time is money

7. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

First off I never said I got it cheap - and the guy is a reputable seller. I was just wondering if anybody else had same issue being he sells it on here.
    And "only" a dollar a bag amounts to ~$1500.

8. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

We had a problem this with product from Milazzo, but We blamed it on the supplier not Milazzo.

9. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

How do u figure supplier -and did they help you out?

I never bought off of Milazzo

10. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Product had been stored outside because of space issues, and the supplier made good on the bags. Although, it didn't help us when we were trying to spread fist sized clumps of product.

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it got wet or may have been last years product.