1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium & Mag from china?!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Silverstreak, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

wondering if anyone has had success ordering salt direct from tinjuia or whatever in china...

had a few questions as to if its legitimate, does it cost any money at the port to have it forklifted onto my flatbed semis?

i got a price of 235/ton fob in china & 325/ton delivered here to port here in philadelphia in 20' sea containers

arrives in 20 days, they ask for 50% up front, remainter at pickup

i was going to get 20 tons, thats 800 bags @ 6500 dollars, comes to 8.12 a bag

pellet calcium chloride

ANY SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS?? i go through about 80-110 tons of bag a year

(before we go on the buy american thing...ive called DOW chemical & also the company that bought their calcium operations oxyCHEM to try and become a distributor and have had no response, left messages..etc and i need to get a jump on getting product..so looking on getting it from china)

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How much are you actually saving? That boat gets caught up in customs you would be using it till the 2011-12 season.

3. Silverstreak

8.12 compared to 11.47 for a tractor trailer preorder now (must be paid for by oct 31st) from intl salt 12.80 for peladow from john deere landscapes preorder tractor trailer load

4 dollars a bag or so, comes out to 3200 saved per sea container (container holds 20 tons/800 bags)

i was going to do one container for now to see if its good n true and then if so go through with an order of 4 more containers

4. grandview

What about the 2 sponsors on this page ,would they deal?

5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Have we not learned about buying stuff from China yet. And yes I am being serious.

6. grandview

There could be lead in that salt.Then a recall and you'll have to pick it all back up!

7. Silverstreak

from morton:

Thank you for your interest in our product. We regret that at this time we are unable to offer you a price quotation, as our bulk inventory is already committed for the 2009-2010 season. If salt does become available, we will contact you. If you have any questions, please call our Customer Service Department at 888-800-8905.

and Intl salt is like dealing with the mob, they run low, they jack the price 3 or 4x's towards the end of the season

8. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Here is something to ponder. Go liquid. Seems that ND DOT is going to use fracking salt that they are going to get from western oil fields. Seems that you could approach those guys drilling up around Scranton and get their material for free. And you won't get any flack from PA DER since Rendell is going to lay them all off. Tell all your customers you are going green