1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium flake vs. Calcium pellet

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kpmsnow, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Just curious what the general consensus is regarding Calcium flakes vs. pellets. I have always been a fan of the pellets but I have other company's that all the buy from me or use is flakes. When I asked them why they preferred the flakes all i got out of them was "cus that what they've always used". No one seemed to have a real answer

2. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

A saleman told me that the flakes won't travel as far as the pellets when they are thrown or dropped from a spreader.

3. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

How about the real reason:

Flakes are cheaper.

Majority:

Imported Cal Flakes = 77-78%
    Dowflake Xtra = 83-87%

Imported Cal Pellets = 80% or 94% (very rarely does anyone import 94% because of it's cost)
    Peladow = 90-92%

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

A salesman told me that "Flakes are flatter than pellets, thus they melt more"

5. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

See I don't necessarily know if I buy that salesman's way of thinking. Pellets have a smaller contact area with the ice, yes. But, by having a smaller contact area that actually allows the pellet to bore its way thru the ice faster. Kinda a which would be easier to push thru a piece of cardboard thing, a needle or a cheese wheel:D. Thus by its ability to bore thru faster the chemical reaction will happen faster and causing more ice to melt in a shorter period of time. I guess I'd like to see a legitimate controlled experiment comparing calcium pellets with flakes, both having the same calcium percentages and applied at an equal rates. :help:

6. SDeVoe

SDeVoe Junior Member

From my experience, pellets seem to work much better than flakes. I have always used pellets, but ran short last year in a storm, so I ran to Home Depot, and all they had was flakes. It seems to take more flakes per area to get the same results as what I am used to from pellets. I also would like to see an a controlled experiment, but I will continue buying pellets, even though they do cost more. The $1.50 difference per bag is definitely worth the cost. Hope that helped.