1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

calcium chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by happy, Oct 9, 2015.

1. happy

happy Junior Member

We have used peledow brand calcium chloride for years. It is kind of pricey this year. My supplier said he had Morton brand calcium chloride and it was cheaper. So we decided to go that route. My question is.... are we going to regret it? Is the Peledow a better calcium than the Morton brand

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure, but being in southwest Ohio, why are you using calcium chloride?
    Why not use something like Polar melt?

3. happy

happy Junior Member

calcium chlo

We use products based on their melting point. For the warmest of temps we use sodium chloride. Then when it gets a little colder we use a blend. When it drops below 10degrees F and the above is not working well, or very slowly we generally add a little calcium, or use strait calcium. Many arguments have been made by others that calcium is the safest to use for concrete at any temp. But that is always a very colorful and year long debate in itself, so Im not going down that road. Whatever works for the individual contractor, and his/her employees is up to them, I won't judge. What is the msds say Polar melt is made up of? And where may one purchase it from?

4. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

What were you quoted and from who? I was pleased w our pricing this year

5. BossPlow2010

I think for polar melt it's like 8.35 per bag
    The polar melt has rock salt, CaCl and KCl
    Works to -24°F
    I bought a pallet of peladow last year at 12$ per bag
    Used like 5 bags all winter

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$12 is what it is here in MI also. Love the stuff, I end up using half as much compared to dragon melt.

7. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Cole, where are you getting peladow for 12? I've been paying closer to 16-17 per bag. I switched to puremelt from John deere landscape at 11. I like the peladow better for my paver drives.

8. BossPlow2010

Carefree in Trenton has it at 12$ a bag

9. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Great, thanks.

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Out here in Howell. If you're interested let me know I'll hook you up.

11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Yeah. I'm gonna look a little harder here locally, but I'll make the trip if need be.

12. danknight163

danknight163 Member

anyone ever heard of this place 1800getsalt are they legit ?

13. navyman

navyman Member

I always check the purity of calcium chloride... usually inert ingredients of 10% or more...compare apples to apples.

14. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

I can get you Pelladow at $12.50 a bag if you buy full pallets. We have in stock at are Location in West Chester Ohio. I can also get you blends at a better price, but blends have gone up in cost also