1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dodgegmc1213, Aug 3, 2015.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, a site we are bidding on this year wants calcium chloride used on the sidewalks. Which brand of stuff seems to work best? We've always used just rock salt on sidewalks but if they demand it for this site we have to look into it. Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Peadlow here,,,,no issues as long as it stays dry.

3. dodgegmc1213

Melts snow or ice quick?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep. It's c.c. as long as it doesn't get wet it the bag. It can clump and turn into a brick

5. dodgegmc1213

Thanks dieselss. The bags will most likely stay in a trailer and won't be used until the end of the storm

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Calcium chloride is calcium chloride.

7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I Agree with Mark

Peladow is presumed to have a bit more melting power(true Calcium) in it over others, but also might be a bit more $$. They all work similar though.

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Find a company that produces it locally and buy sweepings/scrap and works all the same. That's what I do. Saves a whole lot of money. I will say stock up when you can, if you can get it. You wont be the only one wanting it...

Mark O, was that you I was having a heated discussion on Woodtv a few weeks back?

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What story?

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

The story about the plow guy who ended up in jail and couldn't run his route? It was an older story, but it was an update.

We were talking about dot numbers, seasonals, yada, yada, yada. I gave lots of advice, most you didn't agree with... The guys handle had the name mark in it...

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Central irragation carries pedow and a Chinese brand as well
    I ordered 4 tractor trailers and I'm down to $15 a bag for pedow and the Chinese was $13
    I bought the cheaper one

12. dodgegmc1213

Got a price from Braen Supply out of NJ. Calcium crystals $13.59/bag. $12.26/bag if you buy a pallet load. 49 bags to a pallet. So for 2 pallets delivered to our shop came to $1,579.83 including tax

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Stay away from flake they melt to fast not enough residual

14. dodgegmc1213

I don't believe these were flakes..they had another calcium product that was flake

15. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

The brand Calcium Crystals is a blend of mostly rock salt... Likely 90%+ Rock Salt

16. dodgegmc1213

Oh well they won't know and it's cheaper

17. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict