1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

calcium chloride sprayer pic's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by powerjoke, Jan 19, 2008.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

this probably aught to be in the eq pic forum so Donovan you can move it if you like (like he wouldn't if i asked him not to ;))

i have had a difficult time in the past getting something to work for me so the other day i called ScottWood industries (calcium&mag chemical supplier) and he asked me why don't you just use a farm sprayer.....as long as you put down 35 GPA it don't matter what aperatus applies it

this is a custom skid sprayer that i built for the RTV so it don't fit the little 'kota to well,

it is 18' wide with foam marker's and a teejet controller and valves

i just used brown hypro nozzles at about 30psi

any Q's just ask. i am no expert in chloride application by any means but it worked well for me yesterday

RICK

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

So r u trating every thing like that now rick??

Were have to talk about that some one of these days

3. powerjoke

it only holds about 50 gal so i will at least start doing the drive lanes.

i have a 45' rig that holds 500gal. on a skid for the 1ton so i may even use that one ocasionaly

i am going to keep some in the sprayer so i can get on top of the trucks and spray the salter's with calcium

i hope it works out

Ron i plan on giving you a call latter today

4. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Rick,

Ok i'm at home i'll PM u my house number

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting. Make sure you FF the hell out of everthing or it will turn to dust. I know Calcium is better put down in strips but my neighbour has this new nozzle that sprays 16 ft from one centre nozzle. He just got it and showed it to me, he putting down around 50-60 g/acre of brine. He use to use a boom but got tired of folding it. Keep us informed about your new endeavour. Good Luck

6. powerjoke

that's why i did'nt want the rig in the toolcat. that little dakota is worth a heck of a lot less.i FF everything i could but i am still gonna salt-x it, the bed is rino-lined and

the "boomjet" is probably the boomless nozzle youre friend has. we tried them on herbicides but they are so un-accurate (probably because of overlap and without foam on the end's it's kinda hard to guess were you have been) that we was over or under aplplying chemical and damaging the grass but it would probably work great or this application

i had a "BIG-A" a couple of years ago that had a 75' and a 1500gal tank i kinda wish i would have held on to it now. but oh'well

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm very familiar with spayers, from floaters to pull type. I would never use that boom jet for the farm beacuse of accauracy and they don't make one that's 90 ft. The Dakota is a perfect choice for a truck and I'm sure you will learn alot by putting calcium down with this unit. Like I said I'm very interested in the outcome of your project. I've never tried Salt X before does it work well? What are paying for the liquid Ca if you don't mind me asking?

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Im very interested in this too.... Been thinking about starting to do this.

9. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I hope you can fold this thing while you are traveling down the road.... what happens if someone is coming from the opposite direction? Pics look wider than one lane:dizzy:

10. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

thats nice!!!! very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow ,nice setup ,keep us posted how it works,are you brining with calcium only or salt brine and calcium together. i like that setup i am looking for something to add to a pickup with a dump insert to spray at the spinner ,i dont want calcium in my beds.i was going to put it near the cab shield with a square tank so it tucks up close.keep up the good work.
    post some close ups of whole setup. the dog with no bugs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  11. powerjoke

yeah it folds up to jsut a little wieder that the little truck.

cincy: it is just calcium but i buy it from the concrete plant for $1 per gal and applie 35gpa so it cost me $35 per acre.

i am going to take it appart and maybe put the pump and valve aperatus in the front of the bed and draft that way i can just slide in a fresh tote when needed

12. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

can i see some pictures of the motor and lines from the tank to the boom? what style lines are they? any problems with pvc?? if they are. this is very interesting to me..
    thanks

13. powerjoke

i'll try to find some on my comp, if not i'll have to snap some tomorrow but i'll explain:

2-26gal tanks plumbed with copper conectint the 2 at the bottom with a ball valve (i'll explain why later) and then off of those 2-1/2" lines i "T" into a 3/4" and then run a short peice of flex pipe between the copper and pump then on pressure side it is all 3/4" with another peice of flex pipe to the valve assy, and then on presure return i have 2 1/2" lines with a valve on it too

the reason for the valves is i can run both tanks together for 50gal or i can run chemicle in the second tank and shut off the first tank so i have clean water for rinse

the aperatus is made up of 2tanks a hypro 4 roller pump and a 4hp industrial honda and teejet valve body's and regulator with a teejet contoller

14. powerjoke

heres another crappy pic

i have 4 valves on this unit and the 4th is for the hose reel with the jd-9

i don't think pvc will work because of the vibration the little pump&motor makes but if you do you would have to use alot of rubber hose to keep it away from the pvc

i'll take pic's of the plumbing tomoroow

15. powerjoke

here is some pics of the plumbing

i will be willing to help you get one setup, just give me a call and i'll walk you throuhg what i know (it'll be a short call) ;D

the valves in the last pic is what i use to select tanks or if chemical is for example i am going to run 10 gal short i will add chemical to back tand and the just draft 10 gal out of the front tank

16. andrewlawnrangr

power joke

what was the aprox cost of this unit

how is it working for you
    what about in cab controler, just a simple switch or a few

17. powerjoke

here are a couple of images

the controller ~$500
    the motor ~$450
    the pump ~$100
    the plumbing ~$100
    the tanks~$100
    the nozzle bodies&nozzles ~$150
    the boom~$200
    the skid~$150 w/labor
    the foamer~$300 w/labor
    the hose reel and JD-9~$250

i built the skid and boom from stock steel i did'nt buy nothing because no-one made what i wanted

but this was built for a acurate herbicide sprayer and building and just building one for de-ice you could get ny a lot cheaper

you would just need one electric ball valve one manual regulator (mine is electric) and some pipe that slides intp youre receiver hitch with some "wet boom nozzles"

all of witch can be found on this site http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/teejet/744A-sprayer-control-kits.html

it works really well for herbecide and so far so good on calcium

18. andrewlawnrangr

19. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

why dont you buy a turbo tuff a guy has it on another thread and my boss has ir on a gator so i kno it works good let me get some links have some for you later but this is one

http://www.watertanks.com/category/9/

20. Snowgeek

Snowgeek Junior Member

can someone help me with Salting tons/acre formula? Is liquid cheaper and/ or more effective than Salt?