1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium Chloride on concrete sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snow4me, Sep 22, 2010.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I've got a customer who wants me to use Calcium chloride on his sidewalks of a large shopping center. Prices I've seen for this product range from $22-$25 per 50# bag.

Is there something cheaper that works effectively and won't harm concrete?

Anyone using Prestone Driveway Heat? How about a product "End Ice"?

What is the best bang for my buck non-liquid?

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I think Home Depot or Lowes price is around $17 per 50# bag..... if your going to buy multiple skids go to the pro desk and get a volume discount

3. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Peladow is something to look into. I think made by DOW :S Not for sure though. But i thought they had a better price then that

4. bocefus78

bocefus78 Junior Member
    from Indiana

End Ice

I used this stuff exclusively last year. It worked well for me and a good price also. I was paying roughly $9.25/bag Barring a huge upswing in price, it will again be getting the call this winter.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Peladow is no longer a DOW product, a company called OXY bought it out. Also the "fluffy" stuff is a little cheaper but it's WAYYYYY bad for you to inhale, if I'm thinking correctly of your reference you're talking about flakes, the dust is not a good thing to breathe and it eats skin worse that pellets. However, our bag price if buying a full trailer of calcium is $9.46 this year, it's not Peladow, but we tried a couple pallets worth last year and it's and equivelant I believe, it worked the same. Anyway, if you can buy bulk that'll save you a ton, see if other local guys are interested in splitting a trailer, maybe a hardware store if you don't want to partner with the competition.

6. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

calcium chloride is all i use for concrete sidewalks...works great, its fast, works in low temps... awesome product. but where the hell are you going that your spending that kind of money?? you can get it waaaayyyyy cheaper.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That end ice is the sh!t. Blue bag with a penguin on it? I get it at menards for like $8 a 50lb bag. They'll sell pallets and will load it too. I use it on all of my concrete walks. Applys great and activates almost instantly, nice fine material. I've had to replow lots following either a continuing or repeating storm in the same day and not had to do the walks, on several occasions. Sounds like pop rocks when it hits ice. Walks are included in the push price so its win win when that happens.

8. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I was just looking online. What brand do you use and where do you get it? Northbrook isn't too far from me...

9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

CC is great in certain situations, and it has its place--but I'll be very honest. It's old technology, and there are far better options out there now. You can get a good blend for much less, and not have to be stressed out about the consequences of over-application (not to mention the general hazards of simply handling the stuff). I generally only recommend straight CC when you've got major ice-pack that you have to get up pronto. Otherwise, it works great to cut some into your rock to light it off quicker when the temps drop.

:D

10. Westhardt Corp.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Salt hurts Concrete....:confused::confused:....Wow, learn somthing new everyday..:help:

12. Westhardt Corp.

Oh WTF here we go....

:popcorn:

13. Matson Snow

:laughing::laughing:...Nope...Im gonna sit back in the weeds and Learn...

14. Westhardt Corp.

....learn that hungry salt eats concrete??

:laughing:

15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Pile it on and create jobs for the concrete guys?

16. Westhardt Corp.

I've been working on a new deicing system based on the idea of pressure grouting. We're just going to pump brine directly into the cracks to expedite the process and earn legions of fans in the concrete industry.

Whatcha think?

17. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

So I can put it on my popcorn...but not on my concrete? Ha!

18. Matson Snow

I think that is a Great idea...Btw..Thats a CUTE little truck you got there....Heres some real Trucks..:laughing:..Just kiddding Your Truck Looks Great..:salute:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  19. Matson Snow

Another one of our company trucks.....:salute:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  20. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I like it.! Somebody has to start creating some JOBS.