1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium Chloride Flakes to H2O ratio

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by skeleton2135, Nov 24, 2010.

1. skeleton2135

skeleton2135 Junior Member
    from 419

I want to play around with some small batches(20 gals) brine mixes and want to know what ratio water to flakes do I mix. Don't know why I have 150# of dry flakes sitting around, but, I do. Is there anything else I should add to this. My intention is to use it on a select few customers sidewalks to see how it performs. After my learning curve, I could see going to a spray system in the future. Thanks for the help.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I know there is a thread on here that list that info, but can't remember exactly where? I think it's like 2.8 pounds per gallon? Maybe buy a hydrometer and tube and measure/mix until you get it right?

3. skeleton2135

from 419

Thanks Kubota, I read till my head popped. I knew I saw that number too now that you said it. I just tried to go back and find it and I couldn't. Any additives to add to this? And, what would their purpose be? I thought they mentioned a stabilizer or something, Maybe even a rust preventative?

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Farmers around here use calcium flakes and water to fill back tires of farm tractors for added weight/traction. I believe the wt. per gallon comes out to be over 10 lbs.

It doesn't freeze, but it does rust the heck out of rims if the tube leaks.

5. Kubota 8540

Probably a corrosion inhibator. Liquid salt or cal chloride is brutal on metals. I use a mix of salt brine and cal chloride 90/10. Works great but corrosive as H___. Water being 8.3 lb/gal and 2.8 lb of flake would be 11.1 lb/gal. The salt brine is 10.66 lb/gal. You want to end up with a 32% solution but I'm not sure what the specific grvity rating will be. I can test my liquidow for a reading if you need to know for sure.

6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

bingo

32% solution should read approx. 1.322 sg
    What percent of calcium is in your flake?
    Hope you dont have di-hydrate or hexahydrate cacl2

7. Kubota 8540

Forgot....... you were probably the one that posted that info back when..... :laughing: I'm 6'-3" wish my memory was, :D

8. skeleton2135

from 419

I believe it was 70%. Too full from turducken to go to shop to look:sleeping:

9. skeleton2135

from 419

Thanks to all the helpers, not so much to the haters.
    Mods please close