1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium Chloride Cost?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by QCS, Oct 21, 2006.

1. QCS

QCS Junior Member

First, it is great to be a member of such a great site. So much valuable information is gained from you all. Anyway, I have my local Home Depot that has a pallet of 41 bags of calcium chloride pellets that they will sell me for $314.00. Is this a good deal? They are 50# bags.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

how many on a pallet look in they yellow pages under salt most guys will also sell calcium and magnesium chloride as well....compare prices...lock in rates all season

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

oh and welcome aboard

4. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I think that is probably average, I paid $412 for 48 bags of calcium chloride 50# bags just last week, in North Dakota. At my a local lumber yard.

5. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

That's $7.658 per bag. If they are not a blend and are 90-94% calcium chloride pellets...then:

A great price.....buy them all.

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Here in Michigan the going price is $15.00 a 50# bag.

Regards Mike

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$15.00 does it have gold chips in it.? What is the brand

8. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Can someone tell me what the difference between cal chlor and regular salt is from a ice control point of view. I realize it probably has to do with the effective temperature, but does anyone have the specifics. I could probably hunt around on the net and figure this out but I could probably loose a lot of sleep doing it..lol

Thanks

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

They have different brands, somtimes it Dow other times it a no name brand. I don't buy a ton of it but do use it on the gutters and roof if I have a ice dam problem.

Regards Mike

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

rock salt cannot be used on concrete such as sidewalks and store front areas it will eat away at it so calcium or magnessium chloride is used and doesnt eat away as much of the concrete

11. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

From a melting temp:

rock salt = approximate 20 degrees F
    calcium chloride = approximate -25 degrees F

12. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Thanks for that, I can never remember the numbers..lol

13. QCS

QCS Junior Member

Thanks guys for all your responses! I ended up getting the whole pallet.