1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium chloride and Magnesium Chloride?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SDM Landscaping, Oct 8, 2003.

1. SDM Landscaping

SDM Landscaping Junior Member

I found 50lb bags for a mixure of calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. I was wondering what the magnesium choride is? I have contracts that specify calcium chloride on the sidewalks. Will this work or not? please let me know

2. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Calcium Chloride is often specified for sidewalks by property mangers because it is very "hot," meaning that it melts the ice really fast. The drawback is that if you do not apply enough product to completely melt the snow and ice, whatever remains will also refreeze very quickly, and you could end up creating an ice skating rink.

There are a lot of different blended products out there (like the combo calcium/mag chloride you mention) that have different features. Some work more quickly than others, some work to lower temperatures, most have some sort of corrosion inhibitor, etc. etc. etc. Your dealer should offer product support and be able to explain to you the pros and cons of each product, and help you choose what will work best for your application.

It sounds like you are new to de-icing. We are too, and have spent quite a bit of time this summer and fall becoming educated on the subject. We feel much more confident now than we did a month ago, but will have a learning experience with actually using the product this winter.

Contact your dealer for educational support, do searches here, and keep asking questions.
  3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Magnesium chloride works like anti-freeze by lowering the freezing temperature of water and preventing ice from forming a strong bond to the road. It helps keep roads from becoming slick, improves safety and reduces accidents. Magnesium Chloride is usually applied as a liquid to surfaces before a storm to prevent hard bonding of ice and snow buildup.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

If your are applying with a spreader, salt is more cost effective. The bagged CaCl/MCl is rather expensive and I don't think it really does any better job than straight salt. If you are using the MCl in a liquid application, thats a whole other subject that I'm not really qualified to comment on.

from SE PA

cacl is a good no corrosive product for concrete. It will tear up blacktop over time however. magnesium melts at a lower temp and does prevent refreeze better than cacl. cacl does not harm plants unless over applied. salt melts the best,by far, but do not use it on concrete, it will undermine it!! salt melt ice down to 17deg. in laboratory conditions, about 20deg. in a parking lot.

we apply 50# of cacl per ton of salt in the spreader to prevent salt freeze up when it gets below 20deg. ambient air.

don't forget the best way to determine what and how much to apply is to take a couple of lot surface temps. the lot reacts to air temp. changes slower. and heats up faster with solar radiation.

last year we were touching up in 9deg. air temps. with a wind chill of -20deg. but the avg. lot temp. was 24deg.