1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Calcium based brines

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Dec 11, 2011.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I plan on making a Calcium based home brews for spraying on salt piles. A 80/20 mix for sodium calcium is optium for spaying open areas and sidewalks but what is the baseline formula for a calcium mix.

Any one have any ideas of what is used in the anti corrosion additives. Or any of the organic materials everyone is trying to push. To me the organic is a molasis based product.

Bagged calcium vs bulk ??? Pellet vs flake ??? What is preferred.

Finally anyone add a color to thier formula.

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Is a anti corrosive ingredient one which simpilly increases the PH level from the base(low) of calcium to a more neutal PH level (zero)??
    I seem to remember there is an order of importance for this. Base cant be added to an acid or is it the other way around.

3. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Corn steep or de-sugared beet molasis are the 2 most common additives for inhibiting corrosion. The calcium brine recipe that I used was 10 bags of dowflakextra added to 82 us gallons of water.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Whats the amount of Calcium added to 1000gal. Is Mag cal any better??

5. DKG

DKG Senior Member

100 bags to 820 US gallons would make 1000 gallons

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

What size of a bag??? 40kg seems excessive.

7. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I used 20kg bags.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

So a basic 20/80 mix of calcium sodium brine would be 1000gal water added to a yd of salt and 400kg of calcium flake. mix and enjoy.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure why you guys are going through the trouble of mixing it your selves, we buy it pre-mixed for a very low cost. I can't go in to detail about my source but a little research can go along way, especially down Windsor way where I know there are many chloride suppliers. CC is not something you want to mess up on concentration, off by 1% and you drastically reduce the freezing point.

On further thought, search for a company called DEN-MAR brines if your interested, they are not where we purchase from but are located in Windsor. We talked to them about purchasing last year at the landscape Ontario show.

10. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I would produce to the brines in 2 separate batches, then mix the 2 liquids together.

11. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Jeff, roughly how much is cacl brine delivered? I can make my own on site for just over 30 cents per litre.

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

I have a supplier for the Calcium but wondered if the process was as non complicated as the sodium brine.... I think I will make the sodium brine and add the calcium based melter as needed to the solution.

13. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Were you thinking of a bag or 2 of cacl to the salt brine? I think you might have falling out.

14. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

In the quantity we purchase (27,000 liters) about $0.16/L for 30% which is the most effective concentration without splitting a percentage point. You could still probably find a supplier in the .30 cents/liter range in lesser quantities. If I recalled correctly Den-mar was in the similar price range.