1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cabover for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Aug 20, 2008.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'm just about to purchase a new truck. I am pretty sure on a Mitsu fg 4wd with a v-plow. Its already built. It is a manual trans. I want some feedback from those of you who use them for plowing. It would be used primarily for condo associations, some with serious hills. I also plan on putting a electric vbox in it. So how is it on hilly terrain? How is it in tight areas? Is it a pain to plow with a manual? Thanks for the feedback.
  2. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

The guy I used to plow for had an automatic, so I can't help you with the trans part. However we plowed nasty residentials with a 9' straight blade and the best thing about a cabover is the visibility. You can see the entire blade regardless of which way it's angled. Some of the downsides are since you are sitting over the front axle, it can get pretty rough on the nice smooth winter roads:dizzy: Anther thing is the cab on the older ones were designed for a 5'6" japanese guy not a 6'1" american. It takes a couple minutes to straighten out you legs after sitting for 8 hours. Hope this helps.
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The auto's are 2 wheel drive only.
    I know one guy with one in upstate New York, they have had good luck with theres. It does not have a very high GVW though, so your limited on what you can haul legally.
    I dont think they run a v-box in theres.
  4. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I have an Isuzu NPR HD with a Boss Vplow in my fleet and I was a little on the worried side when I purchased it because yes they used to be vary cramped but I aint the smallest guy (5'11" 250lbs) and we fit three guys my size in there and still have some room. Yes you do have great visablity and also a tight turn radius so getting into tight spaces is easy. I have used manual trans in past for plowing and would only use again in large open lots.
  5. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

The first year they were out you could get an auto 4x4 and we also ran an 8' v-box w/2 tons of sand.
  6. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I had an FG and ran a Fisher 8.5' straight plow on it...it is the recommended plow for the unit...visibility great, maneuverability great, shift sucks, GVW ok, ride fair.

Check out the new UD 3300 33K-GVW 240HP straight six diesel and allison trans...along with 4WD!!!

Good chance I will own one someday soon.

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Make sure you don't ride the clutch too much wen you've got snow on the blade. And get a handheld controller because workin the plow and driving a standard at the same time can get a little tricky, especially if the phone rings.