1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable western

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Chevyhhd85, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

Hi I got a western cable plow that work good till solenoid took a crap and smoked the motor so I had one rebuilt by a local place the tested it worked good got a new soleniod and now I get nothing the only other thing I changed was the plate that the handle connects to in the controler was little dirty so I cleaned all contact points. I do not have the plow connected to the truck. Please help

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well are you getting a click from the solenoid when you move the lever up left or right?

3. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

Not sure can't hear anything

4. dieselss

Well then you need to test light the solenoid. There should be a small jumper wire that goes from the pos post to a small post then another wire that goes to the other small post. That wire is your signal wire from the controller and it is a gnd signal. So test light the 2 small and see what your missing pwr or gnd you can either rubber band or bungee cord the controller up left or right instead of waiting for another person. But FYI take the pos out to plow wire off just incase you get it working

5. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

Ok I just tried putting power to the motor it works what ever way the controller is pushed. On the soleniod I added a small power wire from battery side to small post tried controller nothing now if I run a ground wire from body to other small terminal motor works without touching controller

6. dieselss

Ok. That means that your controller is not sending a gnd signal to the other small terminal on the solenoid. You said you cleaned the contacts on the controller? Might need to reck them

7. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

Reck them?

8. dieselss

You said you cleaned the plate that the clicker is attached to. So you need to reck what you cleaned on the controller

9. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

I understand about the ground but not sure what reck means is there some way I can contact you directly?

10. dieselss

Recheck. We all like to shorten words

11. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

I cleaned the copper inside the controler

12. dieselss

Ok. Your controller is gnded and that sends the gnd signal to your solenoid via that wire coming out of the controller housing. So if you dont have a good connection your not gunna have a good gnd.

13. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

Ok I will go thru my controller thanks for all the help

14. dieselss

Ok. Keep us updated

15. Well your controller itself is not "grounded".
    The housing is made of plastic.

When you operate the control up,left,right, the brass contact you messed with
    touches a brass sleeve. That sleeve is connected to a wire that connects to your fender relay.

What makes your ground?
    Ground cable from battery to your hydraulic pump,
    From there your up/down cable and left/right cable carry the ground to your controller which is attached with ball end screws that go thru the brass contact you originally messed with completing your ground circuit when you move it to up/left/right position.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

Regards,
    SPW Tech
    www.snowplowpartswarehouse "Home of Western,Boss,Meyer O.E.M."

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you sure you have the right solenoid? you need a ground activated 12 volt motor solenoid. Cable operated Western (and Fishers) operate off a ground rather than by providing 12 volts.

Is it a 3 terminal 12v MS? Than it's the wrong one.

If it is a 4 post 12v MS than you need to run a wire from the 12 supply side terminal to one of the small posts an attach the wire from your controller to the other.

make sure the controller is mounted to steel if the controller itself isn't grounded than the controller will do nothing. Depending on the cables to provide a ground is asking for cable failure.

17. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

I have a 4 port solenoid. Controller is screwed to the floor the only thing I changed in the controller is the plate that the handle screws into mine was broken

18. Chevyhhd85

Chevyhhd85 Junior Member
    from N/a

Ok I am not sure if it was the jumper wire from pos batt side to little post and the controller or just the controller I bent the copper tabs in and it works I must have bent them out when I cleaned them again thank you guys for all the help I might of been able to solve it but would have takin me a lot longer again thanks and can we get some snow already

19. Very common problem when replacing the platen assembly.
    Glad to hear you have it up and running!

Glad to help.
    Regards,
    SPW Tech

www.snowplowpartswarehouse.com