1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable western pump, how do I top off fluid?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KCPlowzer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

Need some feedback on topping off the fluid. The Western Mechanics guide for this pump showed the port up on the motor but the pics are very vague and the verbatim scared me slightly because it says to not use the pump housing fill or risk damage. My pump housing fill is lower than the ports on the motor. Can someone confirm whether I fill in the phillips head ports on the motor, or the 3/8ths ratchet end port on the housing? My motor has four of those phillips head around it. Choosing one for a fill seems unusual. Thanks forum.

PS also does this pump have a model name? I can post a pic if there's more than one used for the cable system.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

From what I took from your description, the pump is located ON the plow's headgear? Is this correct, or is it under the hood of your truck?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's an out front pump the fill is shown with the yellow arrow. It may also have a check plug in the location shown by the blue circle, and if it does simply fill it through the fill hole until it runs out the check plug hole. If there's no check plug then only fill it to about an inch from the top of the fill hole. A plastic wire tie makes the perfect dip stick.

10m.jpg

4. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

^B&B, That's my pump, thanks very much. It does have the check hole too. BTW this is counter to what the mechanics guide is showing. Thanks for helping out and PShopping a pic!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem. Just be sure the lift ram is fully retracted before you top it off as well.

6. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

OK back for more feedback. I want to drain and fill the hydro fluid. Is this as simple as drain through the drain plug, then refill (like we talked about above). Do I need to drain the hoses, or bleed air out of the system etc?

Mechanics guide says to use ATF for fluid. Should I get the plow hydro fluid from Orielly's instead or is ATF fine? Thanks again for the help I dearly appreciate it.

PS Mechanics guide basically says drain here, pour fluid in here. LOL That's what I get for buying old stuff! At least it's fairly simple in design.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine