1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable type- Lift Valve Questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bearcreek, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Bearcreek

Bearcreek Junior Member

Hello All,

I have been following some of the other threads in regard to Western cable type plows not angling but I have some other related questions.

I have an older, cable type Western that I just bought and mounted. I know nothing about it's history. After mounting it, I found that it lifts fine but does not angle. I left cables off so I could manually manipulate the valves. When I try to angle, the cylinders act like they are powering but it won't move. I have disconnected the cylinders and powered both, both, extend and when I take off the hose, they both retract. The blade itself moves freely. When I started looking more closely at the lever to lift, I noticed that it is not lined up at the 45 degree, 45 degree angle that the manual shows. It actually releases at the very top and closes at about 90 degrees. I thought that the cam must be turned 180 degrees from correct but was not able to fix it. Then I noticed that the lift valve seemed to be too far into the block compared to a friends plow. When I tried backing out the lift valve, it stripped even though I made a custom wrench to fit it tightly. I wound up having to drill it out and remove it in pieces and found that the lift valve was actually made out of some sort of plastic.

Here are my questions:

1. Could the lift valve being too far in prevent the lift lever from aligning properly?
    2. If the lift lever is not aligned, can that prevent the angling cylinders from activating?
    3. Are these plastic lift valves common?
    4. As I install the new lift valve, how do I know how far into the block to set it?

Thank you very much!
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Having not touched one of these since my last course (4 years ago) I don't have the detailed answers you need. I can tell you that these units are tricky to get the cables adjusted correctly. Clearly, if it goes up and down the motor and pump are both fine, you have lots of pressure, it has to be a matter of either the valve not directing fluid to the angle rams or some sort of physical restriction preventing it from moving. Verify the blade and rams are not seized by disconnecting the hoses and either connect them together or just put them in a couple buckets and let the fluid move unrestricted, then lift it up a bit and try to move the blade to the left and right. If you can't move it by hand then remove the ram pins one at a time and find what is binding.

Assuming the plow is not seized I think you need to read the mechanic's guide and play with the adjustment. Here is a link to the full length manual.
  3. Bearcreek

Bearcreek Junior Member

Thanks for the information! Today I got the new lift valve in (It is plastic also by the way), adjusted it according to the manual, put it all together and it worked! Now the lift and angling cylinders work great.