1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable type hydraulics control valving problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TheEquineFencer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/SnowPlowcontrolvalvepics003edited.jpg

The above is a link to what I'm looking at. I just got this plow and need to get it working, here's what I've run into so far. I've not installed the control cables yet, I was going to try the motor and such before I got too carried away. The motor will not run, 12V is going to the motor. I'll figure that out later. I removed the motor and ran the pump with a 1/2 drill and managed to get the plow to raise all the way up. When I moved the lever to let it down, it shot a stream of fuild out the side. With the pump turning with a drill and the valve in the down position, it pumps fluid out that hole. I looked at the mechnics guide one of you guys sent me and it was kind of dark and vauge about this spot. Is there supposed to be a plug or bolt in that spot? I'm going to try and find a parts breakdown and see if it shows anything. If anyone can help or lend some insight it would be great, thanks,Floyd.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

I just looked at a PDF from the Western sight and it looks like it may be a "1/4 inch exspansion plug" Does this look right?

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13356.05_060109.pdf

Take a look at Item #3 pg. 2

Is this a flat steel plug? I found a small round flat peice of metal inside the housing, I'm wondering if the end of a plug blew out?

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I does look like an expansion 1/4 plug

Qplug.jpg

Qplug.jpg

4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

5. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Thanks. I've spent hours tonight trying to find one locally. Any ideas? What would cause it to blow out? I'm going to try a machine shop in the morning then call Western. I fixed the motor, turns now. Turned the armature in my lathe and found a set of brushes for it locally.
    Thanks again.

6. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Update: I tried to get a 1/4 plug locally and from my "local Western dealer", he dropped the ball. I've got three coming from a dealer in Washington State, about 3000 miles away. In the meantime I took the old one and two ball peen hammers and flatened the old plug out and knocked it back in the hole, it's better than nothing for now. I was then able to get the plow to raise and lower, then move left fully and it locked and would not come back to forward or right. I added fluid and kept messing with it and finally it came back, It was either air trapped or the cylinder stuck from not being used in a long time. I still need to connect the cables, but it looks like it's all going to work for now. Thanks for all the help!

7. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

good job, well done

8. twinman326

good luck.....A machine shop may of have the 1/4 plug?

9. TLB

TLB Senior Member

would this be the same as a brass freeze plug ?

10. twinman326

It's an expansion plug. Some shops do call them freeze plugs. One is made of steel, and the other is made of brass. Brass is a softer metal. I don't really think western made a special plug. If it is a 1/4 plug, I can not see why a brass could not be used. except you can not hit it hard were steel you can..Maybe it is because of the pressure. something to thing about.. Plug explode because they deteriorate, or because of too much pressure.

Floyd, did the pin

A) have a hole ?

B) was it deteriorated?

C) just laying there inside the housing?

11. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

C) just laying there inside the housing.
    It was just laying in the bottom corner. I could not find a 1/4 plug, 5/16 was the smallest anyone around here had that I could find. I could not find a listing for 1/4 inch plugs locally. It's just a "flat plug," reminds me of the disk plug in the end of a 71 series Detroit piston wrist pin, it's bigger than the hole but when you knock it into the hole it warps into a "cup' and seals.

12. twinman326

True.....your right...one minute flat. knock it in and becomes a cup..

wow..I must be getting old......

13. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

I was about to machine me a "plug" from some metal stock and figured if I beat the thing back flat and then some it would make it a bit oversize and should hold until I get the new ones. I'm just going to drive the new one over top of the old one, that should hold it in pretty good.

14. twinman326

Just have to watch, casting is soft metal??

15. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Yeah, I noticed that. I thought about drilling and tapping it to start with, but figured the shavings might cause a problem. I'm starting back on it in the morning.

16. twinman326

good luck..

17. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You do not want to drill and tap for a threaded plug , the expansion plug is there for a reason .

I would bet it had some residual water in it and froze therefore causing the expansion plug to self eject , as you have found , beat it flat , gently tap it in and you should be good to go . Carry a few spares once you locate them , common problem.

TOM

18. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

I finished getting it going last night and ran it a little bit in the shop, the plug seaps a little bit, new one should be here Monday.

19. twinman326

U might have better luck with the new plug..I wonder when the factory install the plug, if they use a sealant?

20. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

How do you get the old plug out if it simply is leaking???