1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable to electric

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ajracing81, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

is there a way to convert a cable operated plow to electric

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe you would have to get another setup (the whole unit), plus the correct harness for your vehicle..

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The old Isarmatic cable operated body is the same as the electric version. Western just removed the cable operated valves with an electric valve body. You should be able to unbolt the cable valve body and replace it with the electric version. The problem will be finding those parts and the associated costs. Best would be to find used parts but if you find a used electric isarmatic then you might as well just change the whole assembly. If you find a used one that is cheap then chances are it will be nonoperational and then you have the problem of not knowing what the problem was. If it is the valve body then you are hooped again. You might be cheaper just to buy a used uni-mount plow. The wires will not be a problem but they won't be cheap especially if you go with the simple / reliable 3 port isolation module system. All things are possible it's just a matter of $$$$

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They are 2 totally different power units, the body is not the same. You can not use your cable pump assy and "convert" it. You can however just bolt up an elec/hyd Unimount pump assuming its a Western. It'll bolt right to your bracketry and then you'd just have to get a truckside 9 pin control harness and joystick/handheld.

Same goes for Meyer, etc...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. twinman326

I said that just in a shorter version...

Just didn't mention Myers

6. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

You don't even need the 9 pin harness, the power unit will stay on the truck (not be removed like a Unimount when you take the plow off). All you need is 3 wires from the solenoid to the controller, then wire the controller to the main under hood relay/solenoid and power up the controller. I have done a bunch of them. You can leave the lights on the switch under the dash.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You sure did, and I was correcting Mishnick Thumbs Up

8. twinman326

He has a cable unit.....The controller is different from the unimount units..The cable controller has 2 cables and a single ground wire were a unimount controller has a pc board and 4 contact switches and 6 wire plug......

He converting from cable to modern (unimount wise, not ultra)

conventional

convcont.jpg

Unimount

unicont.jpg

Maybe I am wrong, but I really don't think so...They look different to me :dizzy:

Got-h2o, I knew you were correcting mishnic..I just put it into a shorter version instead a long version were some don't want to hear a long answer, just want to get the short answer......

convcont.jpg

unicont.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

My bad... you guys are absolutely right, thanks for sorting me out. I see the body castings are very different. Sorry Ajracing81 for steering you wrong....