1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable style problems ( newbie)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 84 f250 6.9, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 84 f250 6.9

84 f250 6.9 Junior Member
    from america

my old cable style western 7.5 footer will turn to the right super fast but the motor just strains to turn it to the left and it will not lift up unless there is no weight on it , this is my second year with it and these are the first problems iv had , I replaced the two hoses and filled it with 3 quarts of atf and cleaned the strainer/filter thing. please help me I know nothing bout the plow laymens terms would be appreciated

2. 84 f250 6.9

from america

any takers??? I dont have a manual for this thing either

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

probably a cable issue. is you control mounted nice and tight to the floor? often times it is loose and doesn't shift the cable well. try and shift it manually. that will tell you for sure.

5. 84 f250 6.9

from america

6. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have the exact same problem. I have the manual, but it doesn't get into detail on how to diagnose a problem. I think I have stretched cables as I can't adjust the angle...it either angles left, or angles right, there is no inbetween. I will work on the rest of it nxt week with a friend so he can operate the contrl while I manually operate the pump levers.

7. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well, the friend I called to help me has a set of cables and a pump sitting in his garage. I will first install the cables and see how my pump works after I adjust it. If I am still having problems, I will use his pump until I can rebuild mine.

8. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Back when i had one i had the same either or problem that i tried to adjust out...i'm sure the cables were stretched and i dumped the truck before i could really dig in and figure it out. When i'd adjust one cable one way it'd drop like a lead balloon but then lift really really slow, so i just had to pick a happy medium. Same with side to side..i'd adjust so it'd snap one direction and it'd slowly go the other way...mine might have been a combination of worn cables, worn pump, etc....very slow plow hydraulic wise though compared to the newer models.

Good luck, you'll have to post up whatcha find since i know there's plenty of other guys still using these first generation type plows....and i can tell you this, even though mine was slow as dirt, it was bullet proof and i never had any issues of it going down compared to my latest batch with tons of electronics and they seem to give me a fit every storm..it gets old and many times i long for the simplistic conventional plow i used to run, i just dont miss having the pump/lights permanately mounted on the truck...thoug hook up was a 2 minute and go deal compared to my POS uni mounts that are the biggest joke of a mounting system i've ever had the misfortune of using to date.:angry:

9. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

out of adjustment take it to a western plow guy so you don't mess it up the cable ones are very touchy i take mine to my buddy every time somthing happens he said don't touch just bring it down in about half hour hes done last time i need a new cable

10. 84 f250 6.9

from america

alright so I tried adjusting the 3 way valve attaching screw and it helped a smidgin like maybe lifted it an extra inch but that is it . I m getting worried I want my plow running ASAP so I have peace of mind what else could it be?

11. 84 f250 6.9

from america

wow do I feel dumb i just found out I was tightening a screw that has nothing to do with the lift valve (like I said im a newbie lol)

12. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to the site. everybody was new here at one time. your profile location says america. you should list city and state. maybe one of us lives across the street from you.

just a thought.

13. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well like I mentioned, my friend has the cables and controller along with a working pump sitting in his garage. I will first try his cables and see if I can adjust it. If not, then I will install his pump, see if I can adjust it. If that works, I'm set. I will then take my pump and rebuild it. I will do a pressure test to make sure I don't need to replace the internal pump...it may be bad.

14. 84 f250 6.9

from america

muncie indiana

15. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

IT WAS MY CABLES - Pump now works

My friend came over with his cables and controller, along with his spare pump. We figured we'd swap the cables and controller first as a process of elimination. It was the cables. Installed his cables and controller, and I noticed a difference, Plow went up and down smoth and fast. After adjusting the angling cable, it now functions perfect, and I have a spare pump if I ever need it. With these cales I have plenty of adjustment left if I need it...the other cables made no difference no matter how I adjusted them.

16. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

:drinkup::drinkup: Awesome!!!