1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable style plow adjustments

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jfleming, Feb 2, 2015.

1. jfleming

jfleming Member

I am having trouble with the plow. What I have noticed is that if I lift the plow and try and angle, it works slow. If I put it down on the ground and angle, it works fast. So then I notice with it it, and I move the joystick just past center but not lowering then the angle works fast. So it appears that the joy stick centered is not putting the lift lever in the correct center position.

any ideas, this thing has been really finicy, I have messed with this adjustment many times and don't seem to get it right....

2. LakeCountySnow

LakeCountySnow Junior Member

Could be stretched or sticking cables. Sometimes they are to bent in there routing and cant slide smooth. Take the side covers off and unhook the cables should both move free. Also pull the controler apart and check the movement of the spring within.

3. jfleming

jfleming Member

The cables are new, the controller is new etc. What I have learned is that the inner cable is moving inside the outer jacket. imagine a S bend the inner cable is touching the outer jacket on one side and in another part of the S bend it is touching the otter jacket on the opposite side. So the initial movement of the cable there is slop if you will before the cable ends actually move. Kind of hard to explain but this is what we verified....

Not sure what the fix is, maybe shorter length cables?

4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I am guessing this on a Western.

If I remember correctly there is an adjustment on the cable, a nut causing the shield to tighten or loosen. This gives or takes away play and movement of the cable ( solid wire ).

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

ps never saw the cable stretch, break yes, never stretch.

Also check your the set screws.

6. jfleming

jfleming Member

The set screws are good. The adjustment at the cables do not resolve my situation

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

After rereading your problem here is your solution.

Your lift cable is out of adjustment and when you go to angle your plow part of the fluid is being dirrected into the pump res. If I remember correctly adjust the cable out a bit....if that makes it worse go the other dirrection.

If you have help. With the inspection covers off lift the plow. Take notice which way the cable is going...in or out. Adjust the opposite direction just a little. See what that does.

8. jfleming

jfleming Member

Yes we have done this. The probablem is we can not get repeatible cable movements wich keeps throwing the adjuatments off it is all do to the slack created in the in cabke to outer jacket.

Example disconnect cable at controller and at lift lever. One person in the truck and one at plow pump, one guy can move the cable say 1/8 to 1/4 inch before the other end of the cablemoves. This is theroblem, especially when the cable throw is so minimal to begin with.

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Then you need a new cable.

Slack may be due to slippage at the connections. I always disliked those cables...lot of troubles for me too. But at the end, I got able to figure them out pretty well.

Check the controler area perhaps that is where the problem lays.

Too bad I did not know you a few years ago heck even last year. I could have given your a few units.

10. jfleming

jfleming Member

Cables are brand new western cables.... my thought is i need to go fro i think the 10ft cables to a 7ft cable and eliminate some of my loops through the engine compartment and go for more of a beline from front of grill right straight to firewall...

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

That might make a difference ? I am however guessing that you have something else wrong.

Where in Mich are you ?

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like lift valve is worn or out of adjustment. Should be a bolt below the lift ram on the front of the pump. This is the lift valve adjustment.

13. jfleming

jfleming Member

I am in oxford but willing to drive if someone has better knowledge.... lift valve is new pump is new and puts out 2000psi. I still believe it is the fact i cant get repeatible cable movement to zero in my adjustments

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Lift valve is part of what controls the cable movement. Take some time and read the manual. If you don't know what the parts on your pump do there is no way you are going to fix it.

I am also assuming you have checked fluid level after bleeding the air out since it sounds like a bunch of parts have been replaced.

15. jfleming

jfleming Member

It is all understood....

16. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

If you read all his posts his problem is the cable moving in the sheathing

To the op, I would suggest trying the shorter cables. Their what, $30? And you only really need the angle one it sounds like

17. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Just got back.

I am in Oak Park if you would like to try and get together. I am guessing about an hour or less drive. However my shop is in Toledo.

But your problem perplexes me. You have tried what I would have. I do not remember the adjustment on the valve but Kimber most likely knows as he mentioned it.

If you like feel free to ask me for my number maybe we can work on it over the phone tomorrow.