1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable, Strap or Chain

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by skidoo, Jan 13, 2011.

1. skidoo

skidoo Member

I replaced the winch on my snow bear. The new winch had cable I took it off and mounted the strap. The set up I used is causing the strap to fray a bit. I need some ideas on how to fix the issue with the strap ( can't figure out a better way to mount the strap to the drum). Maybe a chain would work better but not sure how to mount chain to drum either. Looking for ideas.

2. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

3. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

Still not sure how to attache chan to spool.

I used to U bolts and an inner tube rapped around the spool so the chain would slip.
    The broblem is it slips to much now and I can't get it any tighter.

any thoughts?

4. skidoo

skidoo Member

I don't have the collar that goes around spool for the chain. Theres got to be a way to hook the chain to the spool, maybe with a u bolt or something. Just not sure this will work. Not sure if I have the clearance. Looking for new ideas. Is everyone just using the cable that comes on the replacement winches. The pic of the strap is my setup, it's not working as well as I would have liked, looking for another way to attach either strap or chain. Got to be lots of ideas out there, lets here some! :)

5. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  6. skidoo

skidoo Member

7. skidoo

skidoo Member

Ok I decided to stick with the strap, I mounted it to the drum with a 5/16 bolt through the end of the drum. Seems to work better then using U bolts. We'll see, may have to use a 3/8 bolt time will tell.

8. acornish

acornish Senior Member

I do wish that Snowbear never did away with the chain, i feel it was a much stronger design--- my first one had a cable, it broke 4 or 5 times , bolth my newer ones have the strap-- have toyed with the idea of doing a chain for the wifes--- mine in the spring will have a meyer pump with a custom hoop ---

9. skidoo

skidoo Member

I've been looking for a used pump no luck yet. Had 6" snow this AM new winch set up worked great! Fingers crossed but think I found a reliable way to attach strap.

10. champlainl

champlainl Member

chain,chain,chain. Use a hardened u bolt with double nut plates and lean on it,mines been good for 2 + years,lots of snow in upstate ny and my 13 year old snow bear works fine.

11. skidoo

skidoo Member

My intentions were to use chain, I bought all the gear to hook it up, but didn't have room on the drum for it to wrap around. So I decided to go this way instead. If I ever have to buy a new winch I will look for one that has the room for a chain. I like the idea of a chain. I had a new strap in garage so I used that.

P1010177.jpg

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

12. champlainl

champlainl Member

looks great,hope it lasts, I think a chain would fit it though, you're only talking about 12-14" 's of 3/8 chain. But anyways, I'm sure your set up will be fine.

13. acornish

acornish Senior Member

looks good, almost like it was made that way

14. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

We'll I'm still having trouble with my chain and U-bolt set up.
    I get so aggravated when equipment does not work. Having 2 kids under 4 in the truck does not help!! (yes, car seats).
    I think I am going to put the original strap mount back on the spool and attach the chain trough a drilled hole in one of the tabs using a quick link.

15. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

It worked, the chain gets stuck between the winch mount and the "spool calmp" once in a while, but I just back it down and lift it up and it frees up.