1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable pump will NOT release down. Need Help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Otto, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Otto

Otto Junior Member

I ran the ram up all the way and now no mater what I do it won't come down. I have tried dumping all the fluid, putting alot of weight on it, I even jumped on it. And the lift valve is impossible to turn out. What can I do?? Anyone have any ideas?
    Also how hard is it to rebuild one of these pumps?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Otto

Otto Junior Member

Nobody has had this problem before?? Somebody give me something.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

confused

i take it is a cable operated western plow , have you removed the cable from the pump to see if you can manually open or close the valve ? when you remove the cable end have somebody watch the cable end to see if it moves when you operate the control . cable broke or bent ?

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah,...it sounds to me like the cable isn't pulling the quill far enough to open the valve. Take that side cover off and have someone operate the stick and see what it's doing.

5. Otto

Otto Junior Member

Update

I just put new cables on it. The ram comes down very very slowly with the weight of the plow. It doesn't when I put the controller down. And the plow goes up when I move the control left, and it goes left when I move the control to the right. WTF?
    Where do I start now?
    Thanks for the help so far, please keep it coming.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

confused

check western's web site (top of page) i think all your cable valve adjustment's are off .they can be a bear to adjust sometime's ,touchy, one adjustment can affect another .the more worn out the valve's are the harder they are to tweek .

7. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

you've got your cables hooked up backwards or something, and out of adjustment. take the side covers off and have somebody work the controller. you either need to add or take away throw on the linkage where the cable connects. you can do that by taking or giving slack with the cable itself. loosen the set screws and pull the cable in or out til you have the slack correct. then seal the tops of the cables with a dab of silicone to seal them up from water getting in. later, pete

8. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

you've got your cables hooked up backwards or something, and out of adjustment. take the side covers off and have somebody work the controller. you either need to add or take away throw on the linkage where the cable connects. you can do that by taking or giving slack with the cable itself. loosen the set screws and pull the cable in or out til you have the slack correct. then seal the tops of the cables with a dab of silicone to seal them up from water getting in. later, pete

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you don't understand what these guides are telling you, you'll never get the unit right. They are the simplest of pumps, 2 gates controlled by levers and cables. But like anything inexperienced tinkering can leave the unit FUBAR. So save yourself a lot of hassle and expense and take it to a pro now. The more you fiddle with the lift valve, etc.. the longer it will take the pro to get it sorted out.

10. hotrodfeguy

hotrodfeguy Junior Member

I have the problem of pump runs but no movement. I went over the cables from the manual I printed off from the western website. It was pretty easy and I had one that was a bit off. Good luck on your adjustment.

11. Otto

Otto Junior Member

Thanks guys,
    Its going in Monday morning to my mechanic buddy's shop. He knows all about them.