1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable pump packing nut

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by weezer4117, Jan 3, 2012.

1. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

A year or so ago the packing nut broke off of my pump while replacing the internal seals. I didnt worry too much about it as it was where it was suppose to be. Well this year I was loosing a ton of fluid from the ram. I tried EVERYTHING to get the nut out, I had a little lip to work with. No luck. I did a quick search on here and some guys suggested to cut the ram off, push it back inside the housing, and cut the nut out. I did not want to attempt this, I was afraid I was going to bugger up the threads. Soooo I grabbed my wire welder and attempted to weld the broken nut to the ram and use the ram to twist it out (ram needed replaced anyhow). FAIL, it appears the nut is cast iron, weld would not stick at all. Luckily I had some cast welding rods, BINGO!!! The weld held just fine and the ram unscrewed the broken nut with ease. Like i said, I was lucky to have just enough lip to work with that I wasnt worried about warping the aluiminum housing. Perhaps this will not work in all applications but I wanted to share this with the forum because it did work quite well and if someone has posted this I didnt see it......

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

hummmm that doesnt sound like a bad idea...the ones that broke on me i did end up using the blue wrench on. little atta time did the trick. i had nothing to work with so heat, hammer, chisle, punch...finally got it. always wanted to hear what others have done in the same situation. glad you got it out.

3. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

what would be the logic of using cast for the nut, assuming it is?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

it is cast,,,cheaper,,,easier,,,cheaper,,,lol
    some of the aftermarket ones i have seen are not,,but they didnt fit quite right..so i have just been using oe ones with anitsieze