1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable plow SLOW going up n drains volts

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Builder630, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Builder630

Builder630 Member

UGH!!!!! Ok Western Cable plow, long story short it's VERY slow going up, drains the lights, volts drop to about 8. I changed the oil, cleaned the screen, made sure the pump o ring was in, nothing. Changed to the battery in my backup truck, nothing. Not sure if it's a grounding issue? Motor issue? Any suggestions? Gmc K3500. Worked perfect last year till it drained from a cracked fitting that I than replaced. BTW without the plow hooked up the cylinder operates fast. The cables look like they should be changed. Sorry so long...

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well 2 things,,i read that you changed your motor already. so then its either cable, or valving. you prob need to pull the cable side cover, and inspect the valving and see if the cables are moving the right amount. next would prob be a psi test...ck westerns website, under conventional plow and tells you how to ck the cables.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Alternator, battery, or wires.

What it sounds like to me, is that there is some fairly high resistance between the alternator and the battery, and that the plow draws off the alternator side. This could be either on the positive OR negative side. I'm going to take a nice wild guess that the problem is in the negative connection between the battery and the chassis. If that connection is weak, then the whole electrical system is running mostly straight off the alternator.

Since you've already confirmed the battery is NOT the issue, you will be looking at either the alternator or the wires.

Now here is the thing; if the alternator is weak, then your starting and other electrical systems will drain the battery to fairly weak, so when you run the plow pump, it will pull the voltage down as if the battery was dead.

In any case, I would start by verifying all the wires, connections to chassis, etc., and if it isn't the wires, get the alternator checked.

I do NOT think that dieselss is anywhere near the target. He has neglected the voltage drain and is considering a mechanical problem when it appears to be purely electrical. The vehicle's electrical system should be adequate to power the plow pump even when it is under extremely high load.

4. dieselss

Hears where Im coming from. If the lift valve isn't opening up all the way there is a blockage so to speak. So if there is,,the motor and pump don't know that. Your using the same voltage, and amps,,but trying to push fluid through an opening the size of a straw instead of a garden hose.

5. Builder630

Builder630 Member

Thanks to both of you, I'm going to start with the negative ground. Snows on the way.

6. Builder630

Builder630 Member

Is it at all possible the system needs to be bled? The pump reservoir was completely drained a couple months . I filled it but I thought the system bled itself, like a power steering system does.

7. dieselss

Yes but no. By pulling off the fill plug and leaving it open for a bit,,the air will come out

8. Builder630

Builder630 Member

So no pumping involved?

9. dieselss

Well not really. Work the plow up, dwn side to side. Lower plow, collapse lift ram. Then take off fill plug. Air bubbles should come out

10. Builder630

Builder630 Member

SOLVED! After working on it all day in the rain, all it took was a quarter turn clockwise on the pressure screw.... Works like new.