1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable operated wont angle either direction

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 84 f250 6.9, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 84 f250 6.9

84 f250 6.9 Junior Member
    from america

ok so I had my cable operated plow freshened up with new fluid and adjusted the up and down cables and that works flawlessly but we cant get the plow to angle left or right its really weird its like something is stuck .. you can tell it wants to move but it just wont and the motor bogs .. last year the rams were fine so im wondering maybe the 4 way valve? if so where do I get the parts

2. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

plugged quick coupler?

simple stuff first.

3. 84 f250 6.9

from america

this could be a good possibility .. how do I unplug these things? just wd40 or what?

4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Change them, for new, is the usual answer. Try coupling the two cylinders together and see if you can then move it left to right, by hand. then do the same with the pump. this will tell you where the problem lies. Plow or pump.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  5. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

When I have had this problem in the past, the couplers were the problem.

6. 84 f250 6.9

from america

the couplers being the hydrolic connections correct?

7. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

yes the pieces on the ends of the hoses that can be unscrewed. They have a check valve in them to prevent fluid loss when uncoupled. If they are blocked no fluid flow, no angle.

8. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

try a different controller, my plow would go down and angle to the right with no problem but when I would try to go to the left or up it would bounce a little and bog down the power. Plugged in my backup controller and it worked

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Try the couplers first...

10. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

he is cable control no plug and play.

11. 84 f250 6.9

from america

hey guys so I disconnected the rams off the plow frame and the left side one will extend about 6 inches but go to make it turn left (right ram ) it just bogged down and completely froze and you could tell fluid was gettin to it cause the hose was super stiff and almost binding under the force

12. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

you could haver ram problem. Or you could still have a coupler poblem!

Did you take the ram apart, clean it out and put new seals?

On the other hand, it also could be a "cable" problem.

13. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

did you plug the left ram hose to the right ram.

You need to connect the two rams together so they don't connect to the pump. They are connected to each other. Then by hand try to move the blade from side to side.

Your post sounds like you disconnected the hoses one at a time and try to move with the pump. If that is what you tried it cant work because one needs to extend wile the other retracts to move the fluid.

14. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pull the cover off the valve for the angle cable. Check to see if there is movement by the cable. May just have some water that leaked into the valve and froze. Move the valve manually and run the motor. Be careful of the plow moving.