1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable operated western won't rotate, pressurizes both turn cylinders

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hrc200x, Nov 19, 2011.

1. hrc200x

hrc200x Junior Member

Got a 8' western strait blade on a 1980 chevy truck. Its older and cable operated. From what i can tell when trying to turn it left and right its pressurizing both cylinders and won't turn at all. Up and down does work great, so pump is good. If plow is up I can turn plow by hand. Somthing must be leeking inside the valves?

I've taken off the rectangular plate held on my 4 bolts. There was 2 o rings on the back side, they appear to be in good shape...no cuts or pieces missing. Next maybe take off the 6 sided thing held on by 5 or 6 allen screws and see if somting is bad behind there?

Any suggestings appreciated.

Had tried new fluid, no luck.

Thanks.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

put the rectangle cover back on. remove the trapeziod cover. remove the cable from the stud. have someone angle the control while you move the valve with needle nose pliers. turn the metal rectangle clockwise and counter clockwise. does it angle now?

3. hrc200x

hrc200x Junior Member

I have sorta tried that, only the cable was still hooked up, but I could move the thing the cable was attached to a long ways. No, still same problem. I think somthing in the valves is by passing because it I can go out to the plow when its up in the air and move it side to side without having anyone control the controler.

4. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Where are you in MN? I have a Western cable pump just sitting here. Been trying to get rid of it but don't want to trash it. I don't plow, just salt. Think it works but if not, it could be good for parts. Let me know. Also have two turn rams off a 12' Falls plow and the lift ram if anyone's interested.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you sorta tried that. but did you actually do as i suggested? put the plow down and put the lift cylinder all the way down. remove the cable and make sure the unit is full of oil. now have someone angle the control while you turn the valve both counter and clockwise. will it angle now? yes or no.

6. hrc200x

hrc200x Junior Member

deer: I'm way up on the arrowhead, too bad otherwise I'd take it.

no lead: I'll try the exact way tommorow.

7. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

If you get down this way, let me know. It's just sitting here gathering dust. I will be heading N. before the fishing opener next year and perhaps if your still interested we can get together somewhere. Just a thought.

8. hrc200x

hrc200x Junior Member

Tried the exact way and it doesn't move at all.

Maybe I should clarify, move joystick right it presureize both cylinders, rather than just the left, move joystick left presureizes both cylinders not just the right

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  9. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

vaulve body is junk