1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

cable operated western plow problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. intimidator

    intimidator Member
    Messages: 69

    I've got an old cable western plow that won't raise all of the way and every time I check fluid level there always seems to be alot of air and it's always over full. It worked fine until it sat about a month and I know it wasn't over full because I checked it just before that, and it angles without problems, it just won't go up worth a crap, any suggestions?

    Jason
     
  2. wyldman

    wyldman Member
    Messages: 3,265

    Check the cable adjustment first.Double check the fluid level and make sure it's full,and there is no air trapped in the system.You may have to cycle it up and down several times (manually push the ram all the way down each time),to help get all the air out.Then let it sit for a bit (so it isn't foamy),and recheck the level.
     
  3. szorno

    szorno Senior Member
    Messages: 308

    sounds like a candidate for cable adjustment. Try loosening the set screw on the lifting cable and pulling it out about 1/16th inch. Then re-tighten that tiny set screw. Be careful not to wallow out the hex-head. Good luck...
     
  4. racer67x

    racer67x Junior Member
    Messages: 24

    my old western did the same thing this winter...thought for sure the motor was burnt and bought a new one and it still wouldn't raise more than an inch,angled fine.
    of course the snow was falling as I was fixing it so there was no time to wait for new parts,what I found was that the pump had a groove wore in the top cover and it was letting pressure bypass the pump.I filed the top cover carefully and evenly till the grooves were gone then had to file a small amount from the top of the gears to get the clearance back.
    it never worked better than it does now.