1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable operated $$ type f fluid or dexron??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cornbinder, Oct 20, 2010.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

dumb question i have been using type f fluid for almost 10 years now because that's what i was told to use. i saw some info and now i'm second guessing the use of which fluid is correct to use. any input is appreciated.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

oil

i know they have used regular atf for years ,and generally is not a problem being it is a closed system ,unless you have moister enter the system . the newer oil helps dissipate the moister ,example atf spilled on the ground spill water on it and turns white as it mixes with the oil .the newer oil separates when water hits it . we used regular dextron in the shop i worked in for years and had no problem ,although the newer oil flows better at lower temps and don't thicken up like atf . thereby reducing the amp draw on the electric system generally .

3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

thanks for your input wild bill. what do you mean bye the newer style atf? dexron mercon?? or are you referring to the western plow oil? i have never had any of my plows freeze up due to the oil getting to thick or "freezing up" i think that just comes from moisture getting in the system and that the water mixed in the oil freezes. any help would be appreciated i'm gonna be getting my snow plow stuff all serviced and ready to go.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Make life easier on your pump, battery and plow motor. Premium plow fluid is not that much more expensive then any trans fluid and will remain thinner as the temperature drops and provide faster performance with less wear on components and lower amperage demands.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow oil

i clarify my statement on newer oil ,the lighter at low temp's like what basher is talking about ,it need's to meet at least mil spec 5606 ,like the new western and boss oil ,but every body sell's a version of it .:salute:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Anybodies premium fluid, just be sure to use Meyer Hydra-Flush and flush the unit before refilling.

7. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

I switched to boss fluid 2 years ago and have been really happy with it. :nod:

8. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i may try the boss oil. i used to have a boss v-plow and when i bought boss type oil, the dealer told me that the oil was some kind of military spec formula. i may use some of that as i still have a gallon or so left.