1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable op. western cant fix leak

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by swmipropertymai, Dec 12, 2009.

1. swmipropertymai

swmipropertymai Junior Member

got an old western cable operarted plow. the cable that controls lift leaks fluid like crazy from where cable goesing housing. has new o-ring and cable with set screw tightened down correctly and still leaks. too cold for silicone. the other problem is ice getting into housing where left/right cable goes into housing. heard to tape/drill cover with greese zert and fill with greese to stop water from getting in there and freezing. on left/right housing it leaks no fluid just gets water in it. the up/down housing is under pressure with fluid and leaks fluid only when in use so i am wondering is it ok to put greese in there or is it going to mix with my fluid and get into my pump? Any other suggestions would be nice! been filling it up 1/8 quart per every 2 hours of plowing but the ice getting in there is the real problem for me right now.

thanks in advance!
  2. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

I am not sure what could be causing your oil getting in there, but I am going to guess it is the o-rings underneath where the lift cable attaches. As for getting water and ice into the cable connection what I use is liquid electrical tape. you can buy it at walmart from the automotive section, and after it is brushed on you should not have anymore problems with water getting in. get the brush on kind and I always go with three coats.
  3. swmipropertymai

the cover is always full of fluid and it squirts out of the top where cable goes into it on the up/down only since the right/left has no fluid in it. is it suppose to get fluid in there? I will get some liquid elect. tape tomorrow and try it thanks for the help so far.
  4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf pages 39,40

It would appear there is an o ring on the shaft. This is most likely the source of the oil. doesn't look to difficult to replace.

Page 42 shows another possibility, leaking expansion plug.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i would pull the cover off and operate it and see wear the leak is ,i have had to replace a couple of the 55591 expansion plug before not saying the shaft is not eroded away from rust from water leakage .
  6. swmipropertymai

thanks, i will pull cover off and see where its leaking from. appreciate the help!