1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable Driven Western Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by drivewaydoctor, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I'm running an older Cable Driven Western Plow (Isarmatic) and it seems the set screw that holds my cables in place has come out and the hole has no threads left. This is causing a problem with moving my blade left and right. I called my local plow parts guy and they want $638 to replace the whole box and side components where the hoses go into. This seems really extreme for just that little set screw hole.

Would you recommend I re-tap the hole and add like a metal screw or something? Or am I stuck with having to spend the $638 ??

Do you know of any sites in the States that I can purchase just the little 5 sided cable entry box and not the whole side of the motor?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

search ebay. guy has them on there now for 150 buy it now. if you go the new route.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

tap the hole use biger screw
  4. I'm not seeing it on Ebay. Would you mind providing me with a link to the auction bud?
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tap the hole out one size larger, or move over and drill another, if that is all that is wrong with it. Better the devil you know. Stripped cable locks are a common problem with the old cable control pumps.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The tap method works just fine. Easy and cheap.
  8. Tap method didn't work. I'm waiting on a response about the part. Looks like I'm going to have to change the Cable and Linkage housing.
  9. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

update get rid of the cable plows. i had 2 of them. especially if you keep your truck outside at night, they frezze!.
  10. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

try using a helecoil? (sp?)
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's plenty of meat to drill a new hole and tap a set of threads...simply move around the side of the cable boss.

Another method thats a little butch but does work well is to reinstall the screw (I know the threads a stripped) and place a hose clamp around the cable boss to hold the set screw in place. Cheap and quick way to fix one that isn't worth spending big $$ on.

I had tyhe same problem, just thread a self tapping screw in there, mine has been on for more then 10years...just go for it.