1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable converson

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by franticfox, Jan 14, 2012.

1. franticfox

franticfox Junior Member

I have a 1978 plow I bought new. It is a 9' wide 36" high commercial plow, with the undercarriage that bolts to brackets on the frame under the rear of the cab. The front hangs from the leaf springs. Its real heavy and meant for a 2 ton truck. Anyway the lift is a cable controlled western lift that looks like all the other cable controlled lifts except it has a 2" ram in it, do to the weight of the plow. It all works fine except the hydro turn. No mater what I do it will turn one way fast or the other slow. If I adjust the cable I can get it to turn the other way fast but not both. If I put it in the middle it goes slow both ways. Over the years I have changed from the T bar to the newer style stick and cables. I just put a now control box and cables on it and the same thing as always. Not enough travel on the turn cable. If you take the cable off and manually turn the lever that the cable hooks to it turns fine. Fast both ways, but I'm moving the lever farther than the cable will. My question is can this lift be converted to an electric solenoid type lift. The lifts that are electric controlled look like the same thing with more stuff bolted to the area where the cable hook.