1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable controls

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by derby66, Feb 14, 2009.

1. derby66

derby66 Junior Member
    from ohio

Have a old western pump & cables-question is were the cables connect to pump there was a white sludge in there,is there suppose to be grease or something in there?
  2. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Was it a thick sludge or a runny sludge? If it was thick someone may have sprayed some lithium grease in there to help prevent corrosion. If it's runny sludge then you may have a seal going to crap, allowing the oil from your pump to mix with the outside moisture. With out more info, this would be my first two guesses.
  3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

yes its grease you need it
  4. derby66

derby66 Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks everyone! It was a thick sludge, I'll make sure i put some grease back in there!! Thanks Derby
  5. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Yes it is grease . While you have the grease out cover the openings where the cables go in.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The grease is packed in to stop water from entering and freezing with in the valve body preventing the levers from moving. I have seen this occur. The "White Goo" is old lithium grease probably added by the factory. while you can fill it with grease I also suggest you RTV or silicone where the cables enter the valve blocks to seal the water out as that is how it enters in the first place.